D.C. Council approves $23 million in additional funding

The D.C. Council approved Mayor Muriel Bowser's suggestion for $23 million in additional spending Tuesday.  Jamie Finkelstein | Hatchet Photographer
The D.C. Council approved Mayor Muriel Bowser’s suggestion for $23 million in additional spending Tuesday. Hatchet File Photo by Jamie Finkelstein.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kendrick Chang.

In its first legislative session in a month, the D.C. Council approved Mayor Muriel Bowser’s request for $23 million to be added to the budget and passed legislation directed at crime prevention, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

When Bowser requested the additional funding last week, several D.C. Council members, including Chairman Phil Mendelson, asked for more details, enough of which were provided Tuesday for the Council to unanimously pass the legislation.

The funds would include funding for body cameras on police officers and expand employment assistance for young people in D.C. according to The Post. Of the additional funding, nearly half will go towards improving D.C.’s crime lab and the police body cameras.

Kenyan McDuffie, a Ward 5 Council member who is the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, also proposed a crime prevention bill that would identify at-risk youth in the city and give them access to programming that could prevent them from entering a criminal lifestyle.

“What’s clear is we cannot arrest our way out of this crime problem,” McDuffie said.

Jack Evans, the Ward 2 Council member who represents Foggy Bottom, introduced a bill that would use funds to keep at least 4,000 police officers in the Metropolitan Police Department, which he said currently only has 3,800 officers.

Evans also introduced another bill that would require police officers, public school teachers and firefighters to live in the District, because about 80 percent of those employees live outside the city, Evans told The Post. He said this would be a way to keep D.C. tax money in the city, and said he will likely face backlash from teacher’s associations and other groups for the bill.