Report: GW benefits fall ‘in middle’ compared to peer universities

Vice President for Human Resources Sabrina Ellis and Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Planning Forrest Maltzman attended a town hall meeting last month, fielding questions from staff members about GW's rollback of employee benefits.  File photo by Katie Causey | Photo Editor
Vice President for Human Resources Sabrina Ellis and Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Planning Forrest Maltzman attended a town hall meeting last month, fielding questions from staff members about GW’s rollback of employee benefits. File photo by Katie Causey | Photo Editor

GW’s benefits packages for its employees land in the middle of a list of similar universities, according to a University release Wednesday.

Mercer, a global consulting group for health and retirement benefits, estimated that GW’s average bundle for healthcare, retirement and tuition benefits for employees comes in at $17,245 each year in a report published Wednesday. That total ranked eighth out of 18 peer institutions.

The report assigned rankings for three sections — healthcare, retirement and tuition — in addition to an overall score out of 18. GW came in at No. 8 in health, No. 7 in retirement and No. 10 for tuition benefits. The report does not show rankings for the other institutions.

The University scaled back its tuition benefits last year for employees, leading to pushback from faculty leaders and staff members.

In a town hall meeting with Vice President for Human Resources Sabrina Ellis and Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Planning Forrest Maltzman, staff members asked for more details and communication about their health and tuition benefits.

University President Steven Knapp requested the report after a meeting with the Benefits Advisory Committee in June. Knapp also established a task force centered on evaluating GW’s benefits, but chose not to adopt all but one of the group’s short-term recommendations in May.