D.C. Fire and MPD respond to fire on Fulbright Hall roof

Students in Fulbright Hall were evacuated early Tuesday morning because of a fire on the building's roof. Katie Causey | Photo Editor
Students in Fulbright Hall were evacuated early Tuesday morning because of a fire on the building’s roof. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

This post was written by Assistant News Editors Jeanine Marie and Robin Eberhardt.

Fulbright Hall was evacuated early Tuesday morning due to a fire on the roof of the building, according to a University release.

At around 3:15 a.m., the Metropolitan Police Department responded to the fire along with D.C. Fire and EMS and the University Police Department. By 3:30 a.m., D.C. Fire and EMS “had the scene under control and the fire was put out,” according to the release.

Fulbright residents were sent to the Marvin Center, but the building is now reoccupied. No injuries were reported, according to the release.

The release stated that the fire damage was contained to the roof deck, though GW Operations team is assessing the upper floors of the eight-story building for water damage. Investigators from D.C. Fire and EMS have not yet determined the cause of the fire.

23rd Street between G Street and I Street was also closed while responders were on the scene.

The residence hall houses about 250 sophomores. GW officials said Fulbright residents wanting to report damage to their rooms should contact Fixit.