Key Bridge reopens after man threatened to harm himself

Katie Causey | Photo Editor
Katie Causey | Photo Editor
D.C. police blocked traffic to the Key Bridge in Georgetown on Tuesday night after a man on the bridge threatened to harm himself. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

The Georgetown Key Bridge was shut down to pedestrian and vehicular traffic for about two hours on Tuesday night because of a man on the bridge “threatening to harm himself,” according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

Officers on the scene put the man in custody late Tuesday night and took him to an area hospital. Katie Causey | Photo Editor

At around 8:30 p.m., police blocked the bridge to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. More than 40 people were waiting on 35th and M streets to cross the bridge by the time it opened around 10:30 p.m.

MPD Lieutenant Eric Hayes said on the scene the man was admitted to an area hospital. Hayes did not say which hospital and did not provide additional information about the man. A spokeswoman at GW Hospital declined to confirm whether the man had been taken there, citing patient privacy laws.

Special units and the MPD Harbor Patrol were also on the scene, in addition to D.C. Fire and EMS.