Gun crimes up 20 percent so far this year

Gun crimes in D.C. have increased nearly 20 percent so far this year compared to 2014, according to new data.

There have been 1,183 gun crimes so far in 2015, according to a new report from the District Office of Revenue Analysis. About 430 of those crimes have occurred this summer, according to data collected through July.

Last summer, there were 333 gun crimes across the city. And with a total of 78 murders, homicides are also up about 18 percent this year, WTOP reported.

The Foggy Bottom neighborhood is one of 17 to see either a decrease or little change in gun crimes over the last year, according to the report. The Metropolitan Police Department has tallied two gun crimes in the neighborhood so far this year, down from four last year.

The biggest decrease in gun crimes occurred in the Deanwood, Burrville, Grant Park and Lincoln Heights neighborhoods, which is a mostly residential area in Northeast D.C.

The Dupont Circle and Georgetown neighborhoods both saw increases in gun crimes over the past year, with increases of two and four crimes, respectively. The largest increase in gun violence occurred in the area surrounding Union Station, with a total of 69 gun crimes so far this year – an increase from 32 in 2014, according to the data.

The area around Capitol Hill reported 41 gun crimes in 2015, more than double the total in 2014.

The Cathedral Heights area, which surrounds the National Cathedral, is the only neighborhood on the list that reported no crimes involving guns over the past two years.