Medical school guarantees admission for UMW honors students

Updated: July 30, 2015 at 3:30 p.m.

Honors students at the University of Mary Washington will now have guaranteed acceptance to GW’s medical school, according to a release published Wednesday.

Students in the public Fredericksburg, Va., college’s honors program can apply at the end of their sophomore year to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If they complete the minimum curriculum requirement, those students will be admitted to SMHS and will not have to take the MCAT, the standardized entrance exam for medical school in the U.S.

“We are delighted with this partnership,” said Diane McQuail, GW’s assistant dean of admissions for medical degree programs, in the release. “UMW’s Honors program provides students the ability to hone their academic, intrapersonal and interpersonal competencies defined by the Association of American Medical Schools as critical for success in the career of medicine.”

In February, SMHS announced a partnership with Virginia community colleges, where students with associate’s degrees can study health sciences programs at the school. The School of Nursing has a similar relationship with Montgomery College in Maryland and the Virginia Community College system that guarantees nursing students at those colleges acceptance to GW’s program.

The University has other feeder programs to the medical school, including some arranged with undergraduate students at GW. Incoming freshman can apply to a seven-year accelerated program that cuts a year off of undergraduate study with early acceptance to the medical school, pending good academic and social standing.