Where to find food and fireworks this Fourth of July

The fireworks on the National Mall are nice, but plan on getting there early if you want to see them. Photo by Zach Montellaro used under a CC-NC-SA 2.0 licence.

If you want to claim a spot on the National Mall to watch the fireworks this Saturday, you might have to skip the barbecue.

For a view of fireworks and an Independence Day dinner, head to one of the District’s rooftop restaurants instead.

Old Glory 3139 M St. NW

Named after the American flag, Old Glory is as patriotic as it gets. The Georgetown restaurant boasts a cozy roof deck where you can enjoy barbecue classics like a $15 brisket sandwich or a half rack of ribs for $20.

Start your festivities early and head to happy hour between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., when you can grab a draft beer or cocktail for $3 to $5.

1905 Bistro and Bar 1905 9th St. NW

The trendy comfort food eatery will be hosting its own party this Saturday. Make sure to get to the late-night rooftop bar by 3 p.m. — entry is first come, first serve.

For $20, you’ll get access to beers brewed by the local Atlas Brew Works and twists on cookout favorites like sausages, potato salad and pulled pork sandwiches.

Jack Rose Dining Saloon 2007 18th St. NW

Adams Morgan is buzzing with rooftop bars so it can be hard to choose just one. But for a view of the National Mall, American comfort food and a happy hour featuring $4 beers, look no further than Jack Rose.

At happy hour on the terrace from 4 to 7:30 p.m., bites like $5 jalapeno hushpuppies and $16 ham and biscuits will be half-priced.

DNV Rooftop 1155 14th St. NW

With Japanese fare like $9 spicy tuna sushi and the $13 Tokyo dog — chicken and pork sausage loaded with cabbage, Dijon mustard and Japanese mayo — the Donovan Hotel’s lounge may not seem like an obvious choice for Independence Day.

But you can’t beat the view from the 14th-floor poolside lounge overlooking Thomas Circle. Plus, it’s open from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m., so you can celebrate all night long.