Dive into the District: Where to swim – or sunbathe – in D.C.

Looking to relax poolside without running into your classmates on the Vern? Whether you want to work out or work on your tan, the District offers plenty of swim spots when you can’t sneak into the rooftop at The Avenue.

Francis Pool 2500 N St. NW

Ditch your daily exercise routine at Lerner Health and Wellness Center and take advantage of the warm weather instead — the spacious outdoor pool in West End is within walking distance. Once you get there, you can swim laps or make some new friends in a water aerobics class.

Francis Pool is public, so admission is free for D.C. residents with identification and daily passes cost $7 for nonresidents.

East Potomac Pool 937 Ohio Dr. SW

Tucked into East Potomac Park between the Potomac River and Washington Channel, East Potomac Pool is a bit isolated and far from Foggy Bottom. But the sprawling, Olympic-sized facility is big enough for you to swim laps or splash around, and quiet enough that you won’t be disturbed as you sunbathe.

Free for residents and $7 for nonresidents, the pool also offers more of a country club vibe with a golf course, tennis courts, grill and clubhouse next door. Plus, you can’t beat the views of the Washington Monument.

The Rooftop at Dupont Circle 2015 Massachusetts Ave. NW

Whether you want to lounge in the shade on one of the bright turquoise sofas or have a drink at the bar, entry to the intimate Embassy Row Hotel pool is exclusive — only 20 people are picked for $1,000 membership each year. But you can enjoy the views of D.C. from above for free if a member brings you as a guest.

If you don’t get an invite, hit the hotel’s front desk early to snag a day pass — for $25 each, spots are limited. There are also special “twilight passes” that let you in for free after 5 p.m.

The Liaison Hotel 415 New Jersey Ave. NW

If you want to unwind after interning on Capitol Hill all day, head over to happy hour at the Liaison Hotel pool a few blocks away — entry is free after 5 p.m.

Day passes are $25 for non-guests who prefer to relax at the upscale rooftop in the sun  You can also doze off on one of the cushioned cabanas (which fits about five other friends) if you reserve it ahead of time for $100.