GW’s ‘I am Malala’ guide updated for high schoolers

High school students and teachers will soon be able to use GW’s curriculum on Malala Yousafazi’s memoir with an update designed specifically for them, according to a release Wednesday.

The guide, created by the Global Women’s Institute in partnership with Malala Fund and the publisher Little, Brown and Company, had originally provided an outline for college professors to connect students with Yousafzai’s memoir “I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban,” but a second version will also target high school students.

““Malala’s message of equality and the importance of education needs to be heard by people of all ages,” Mary Ellsberg, the director of the institute, said in the release. “By providing this additional material we are reaching more students at a crucial age, when they are starting to learn about the world around them and can take on the important role of being aware, global citizens.”

The guide, which is available for free online, centers on eights themes from the genre of memoir to religion.

The University launched the curriculum in November, about a year after faculty announced plans to create the program. Yousafazi’s father spoke at GW in Novemeber to celebrate the guide’s release.