1990 alumna dies in fatal Amtrak crash

An alumna was one of the eight passengers who died in the fatal Amtrak train derailment Tuesday.

Laura Finamore, 47, received her bachelor’s degree in Literature in English in 1990, University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said in an email. She was working as a senior account director at the real estate broker Cushman & Wakefield, the Associated Press reported.

“We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Laura Finamore,” Hiatt said. “Our thoughts are with Ms. Finamore’s friends and family during this difficult time.”

Finamore had been coming back to New York from a memorial service for a friend’s mother, the AP reported. Dental records were used to confirm her identity. She is survived by her parents, three brothers and seven nieces and nephews, the AP reported.

She grew up in Douglaston, Queens, The New York Post reported. A statement released by her relatives in The New York Post said they were “profoundly saddened by her untimely passing.”

“Laura’s smile could light up a room and her infectious laughter will be remembered by many for years to come,” the statement read. “She was always there when you needed her ​– with a hug, encouraging words or a pat on the back.”

The train, headed from D.C. to New York, was traveling more than 50 mph over the speed limit when it crashed in Philadelphia Tuesday night. At least two GW students were among the more than 200 people injured in the incident.

GW released a statement Wednesday warning students of travel delays after Amtrak suspended service between New York and Philadelphia.