D.C. ranked “pretty bad” in comparison of income mobility

If you want to make more money in the future, you may not want to grow up in D.C.

D.C. is in the bottom half of counties where children succeed financially in the future according to a report published by the New York Times. The study called D.C. “pretty bad for income mobility.”

D.C. ranks in the 40th percentile of more than 2,000 counties in America, according to the study. That means if a child grew up in a poor family in D.C., instead of a family with an average income, he or she would make $140 or 1 percent more than the nationwide average at the age of 26, the report found.

A child from a poor family in neighboring Montgomery County, Md. would make $2,740 or 10 percent more than the national average by the time he or she is 26.

But compared to other major cities across the U.S., D.C. comes out on top. At 26 a child from a poor family in New York City would make an income that is 11 percent below the national average. In Chicago, a child from a poor family would earn an income that is 13 percent below the national average by the time he or she turn 26.

The report found that there are five driving factors to improve upward income mobility, including “less segregation by income and race, lower levels of income inequality, better schools, lower rates of violent crime and a larger share of two-parent households.”