Iraq War veteran and congressman talks bipartisanship with College Dems

Congressman Seth Moulton spoke in the Marvin Center amphitheater Tuesday. Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Staff Photographer.
Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., spoke in the Marvin Center Amphitheater on Tuesday. Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Staff Photographer.
Updated: April 24, 2015 at 12:16 p.m.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Laura Whaling.

Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., spoke to students in an event hosted by the GW College Democrats on Tuesday in the Marvin Center Amphitheater about the importance of new leaders in Washington.

The first-term congressman from Massachusetts, who served in the Iraq War before entering politics, defeated nine-term incumbent John F. Tierney in the primary election last year before winning the seat in November.

Missed the event? Here are the main topics Moulton discussed.

1. Why Moulton ran for Congress

Moulton said he wanted to run after seeing the consequences in Iraq, which he said resulted from inadequate leadership in Washington. He said he knew the race would be difficult.

“Every single day of that race, I was told I would not win,” he said.

Moulton said he continued with his campaign because he believed in his mission and said his plans would challenge the status quo.

2. Working across the aisle

Moulton said he entered Congress with the idea that his colleagues were attempting and failing to work with Republicans, but soon realized that fellow Democrats were not reaching across the aisle. By meeting with conservative politicians and attempting to find common ground, Moulton said he has succeeded in getting more done.

“If you develop a personal relationship, you can then operate on a professional one,” he said.

3. The importance of government involvement

Moulton said he wanted students to learn the importance of government involvement and the need for a new generation of leaders. He said the future of the country lies with this generation and not just figures from the past.

“Our generation’s voice matters,” Moulton said. “We need your perspectives.”

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Rep. Seth Moulton’s family did not support his run for Congress. Moulton’s family was not supportive of his decision to join the Marines. We regret this error.