Forty-six staff positions cut in light of University-wide budget crunch

The University informed 46 employees that their positions had been eliminated Wednesday, the first measure of its kind in the wake of 5 percent University-wide budget cuts.

The layoffs, which were announced in a release, were for staffers in administrative departments in response to the budget cuts. The release did not name the departments.

The University has asked those departments to slash operating budgets by 5 percent. Other cuts include reducing overtime costs, lowering energy expenses and adjusting some services provided by those departments.

“Reductions in operating budgets pressed some administrative units to reduce current staff. These decisions were made by units carefully with much forethought,” Vice President for Human Resources Sabrina Ellis said in the release. “We want the best for all our employees, and we will work to help those in transition as well those in newly restructured units.”

Deans and other school leaders have also been asked to focus on recruiting graduate students and creating new programs. University President Steven Knapp said last month that graduate enrollment had dropped by 1,200 students, leading to GW missing its projected revenue for the second straight year.

The University also admitted 45 percent of all applicants this year and will slightly increase the size of the undergraduate class to help boost tuition revenue.