Men’s basketball to begin NIT on Tuesday at PITT

Senior John Kopriva scored 13 points against the Bonnies in his second highest point total in a conference game this season. Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Senior John Kopriva scored 13 points against the Bonnies earlier this season. Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Senior John Kopriva will play at least one more game for the men’s basketball team. GW earned the No. 5 seed in the National Invitation Tournament and will play No. 4-seeded PITT in Pittsburgh for the first round, the NIT selection committee announced Sunday.

The game will be played at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and televised on ESPN. The Colonials last competed in the 34-team tournament in 2004, when they lost to Virginia in the first round.

Should GW advance, the team would face the winner of the game between No. 1 Temple and No. 8 Bucknell in the second round from March 20 to 23.

The NIT is made up of teams that did not receive an automatic or at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Games in the first round, second round and quarterfinals are hosted at the campus site of the higher-seeded team, unless the team declines to host or logistical problems prevent it from doing so.

After quarterfinal games are played on March 24 and 25, the tournament will move to Madison Square Garden for the NIT Final Four on March 31 and the Championship Game on April 2.

Fellow Atlantic 10 teams Richmond and Rhode Island were also selected as No. 1 and No. 3 seeds, respectively.