Lacrosse stumbles in loss to high-powered Navy

Senior attacker Jamie Bumgardner tests Navy's Annie Foky on Wednesday afternoon. Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Senior attacker Jamie Bumgardner tests Navy’s Annie Foky on Wednesday afternoon. Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Ellee Watson.

Women’s lacrosse demonstrated depth but failed to execute fundamentals in a 14-3 loss to Navy.

The Colonials got goals from three different players from three different classes with scoring from junior Olivia Boudreau, freshman Brooke Sands, and senior Rachel Mia, but were overmatched by one-loss Navy, which entered the game on a three-game winning streak.

“Navy was really savvy around the crease today,” head coach Tracy Coyne said, “They have a lot of physicality.

Navy came out of the locker room and into the freezing rain more alert than the Colonials and adapted to the conditions. The Mids took control of the possession and scoring within the first three minutes.

Despite the scoring barrage, the defense put up a fight but was overwhelmed by constant Navy possession of the ball.

“We need to pick up the ball when you’re supposed to pick up the ball, to get back when you need to get back, and to make the pass when you need to make the pass,” Coyne said.

Although they did not dominate possession, the Colonials started making good clears up to starting attackers Boudreau, Mia, and senior Jamie Bumgardner.

Boudreau quickly accepted a clear and ran towards the Mids’ goal in a counter attack, taking a one on one to the net to even the score 1-1 in the fifth minute of the match.

“[Boudreau] is an all around player from top to bottom,” Coyne said, “Especially her execution.”

Boudreau also collected an assist off of Sands’ goal. With eight minutes left in the first half, Boudreau carried the ball around the crease, and passed backwards to Sands who sank the ball above the goalie’s head.

Sands’ goal took the Colonials into halftime down by four at 6-2, but Navy pounced at the beginning of the second half.

“We needed to come out of halftime and get after it, but we didn’t,” Coyne said. Navy held possession for the majority of the second half and constantly targeted the net, outshooting the Colonials 17-4. Their attempts paid off – the Mids scored five goals within six minutes.

“We needed to really respond to those goals and get the momentum back,” Boudreau said.

Mia responded and resuscitated the Colonials’ energy with a goal from a free position shot bringing the score to 12-3 with nine minutes left in the match. The goal put her in second place in the A-10 for most goals with 12 goals, and she averages three goals per game.

Senior goalkeeper Mackenzie Jones collected 10 saves, but that wasn’t enough to stall the Mids, whose only loss came against no. 8 Duke University.

“I’m not surprised by today’s game but I am disappointed with how we played,” Coyne said.

The Colonials head across the country for their next matchup, a Tuesday night showdown at Oregon.