Roundtable: Two unconventional ways to spend Valentine’s Day

Two feminists reflect on the arrival of one of the year’s most polarizing holidays for members of the movement.

Committing to self-love instead of wallowing

Sarah Blugis, a junior majoring in political communication, is The Hatchet’s contributing opinions editor.

This Saturday is Valentine’s Day, and like many people, I don’t have a date. I don’t have a boyfriend, and no one asked me to be his Valentine. Last year, I was single for Valentine’s Day for the first time in two years and I spent the holiday feeling sorry for my lonely self.

But if you’re feeling bad for me – or for yourself – you shouldn’t. This year, I’ve vowed not to be sad: Instead of worrying about having a romance-free Valentine’s Day, I’m going to love myself.

I recently came across a Tumblr post that encouraged people to love themselves on Valentine’s Day by buying chocolate, drinking a whole bottle of wine and even slapping their own asses. Though I won’t follow that plan exactly, it’s the idea I’m going for – and if you’re without a Valentine this year, you should try it, too.

My New Year’s resolution this year is to love myself – my body, my accomplishments, my life. If I were upset about not having a romantic night out on Valentine’s Day, it would be like giving in and saying I’m not good enough. I would have to ask myself, am I unhappy with my life just because I don’t have a significant other?

I won’t let that be the case.

For those of us who haven’t found a someone yet, we don’t have to view Valentine’s Day as proof of our own perceived inadequacies. Let’s fight the temptation by turning around the meaning of the holiday. It’s supposed to be about telling someone that you love him or her, but we should instead use the day as a reminder to love ourselves.

Grab a bottle of wine, toss some slice-and-bake chocolate chip cookies in the oven and watch a movie with your friends. Book yourself a massage, or buy one of those Lush Bath Bombs and treat yourself at home. Take a really long nap or go for a really long walk. Post a bunch of amazing selfies on Instagram. Do whatever makes you happy on Valentine’s Day.

As for me, I think I’ll start off the holiday with shopping – probably at Sephora – and then celebrate with some friends and drinks.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not saying romance on Valentine’s Day would be unwelcome (if I have any secret admirers, now would be the time to make yourselves known). And if you’re spending your Saturday with a significant other, good for you.

But let’s all remember that you don’t need a Valentine for validation. Besides, you can’t love anyone else until you love yourself, right? So let’s get started.

Let Feb. 14 pass you by unnoticed

Robin Jones Kerr, a senior majoring in journalism, is The Hatchet’s opinions editor.

There’s a big event on the horizon – a national holiday that will upend our weekends and for which everyone is making plans.

That’s right – it’s President’s Day, you guys!

OK, sorry for the lip. But in all honesty, that’s how I’ve been referring to this upcoming weekend. I haven’t mentioned its other association: Valentine’s Day.

Now that’s not because I’m a fire-breathing feminist (I am). It’s not because I’m dateless this Valentine’s Day (I am). And it’s not even because I’m single while my two closest friends are in relationships (also true).

I have no ill will toward V-Day – in fact, I don’t feel anything about it at all. I think that’s a sentiment worth expressing this time of year, when the pressure to have an opinion – any opinion – about the holiday is so immense.

(Oh, and rest assured: I realize the irony of writing about this for the opinions section, but sometimes the most refreshing take is to not have a take at all.)

Single folks seemingly have just two options: wallow alone in self-pity and ice cream, or get together with their similarly single compatriots and burn the paraphernalia of their exes in a trashcan like the ladies of “Friends” did that one time. Couples are supposed to go all out: don new outfits, buy gifts for each other and drop a serious chunk of change on a fancy dinner.

But we should remember that those are just tropes, and none of us are under any obligation to do anything – go out or stay home – or feel a certain way – angry, corny or sad.

One of my good friends here at GW has been with the same guy for almost six years. In fact, about a year ago, they got engaged. They’re one of the most serious couples I know – and you know what they’re doing on the 14th?

They’ll probably head to Barnes and Noble, she told me, and then grab some frozen yogurt before they head home to bake cookies and probably watch a movie. She knows the two of them will have more fun with a low-key celebration, so they’re not buckling under the pressure to go all out.

And most importantly – they’ll be doing what they love. If you insist on acknowledging the holiday at all, that’s the route to take. If you’re in a relationship and the two of you love to treat yourselves, power to you. If you’re single and want to pamper yourself, great. But if, like me, you don’t have any real feelings toward the day at all, that’s alright too.

As for me? I’m heading home for President’s Day weekend to spend time with my mom. We’ve tentatively planned to hit up an art exhibit, but other than that, our schedule is about the same as any other weekend I go home: We’ll sleep in, eat well and marathon-watch episodes of “Mad Men” we’ve already seen dozens of times.

That’s what we love to do – any day of the year.