Weekend Outlook: Free events to kick off February

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Emily Holland.

Kick off the first weekend of February with a free concert, a free art festival and free chocolate. And your weekend doesn’t have to end on Saturday night. Sunday features a resurrected cocktail bar and a killer DJ set.

Friday

Free Concert Series by Washington City Paper at the Smithsonian Museum of American Art: Two bands will take over the Smithsonian Museum of American Art on Friday. Part of Washington City Paper’s concert series, indie-pop group Art Sorority for Girls and rock band lowercase letters will play back-to-back shows. There will be snacks at the museum and free beer tastings.
Smithsonian Museum of American Art, Eighth and F streets NW. 6 p.m., Free, All ages.

Datsik: Ninja Nation Tour at Echostage: Producer Datsik brings his tour to Echostage along with special guests, including Waka Flocka Flame. The night is sure to be filled with new DJ mixes, but maybe Waka Flocka will pull out those old favorites like “Hard in Da Paint” and “No Hands.”
Echostage, 2135 Queens Road NE. 9 p.m., $30, 18 and older.

Saturday

Chocolate Lover’s Festival in Old Town Fairfax: This annual festival kicks off its first day on Saturday and is a hot spot for chocolate lovers from the District. Sample all kinds of chocolate and other sweets like cake and brownies. And if you’re stumped about what to get that special someone for Valentine’s Day, you can even pick up some chocolate to go.
Old Town Hall, 3999 University Drive, Fairfax, Va. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

PRAVA Fest at Pike & Rose: PRAVA Fest, a winter arts festival, features local artists as well as artists from New York, Boston and abroad for a night of performances and artistic expression. The festival is an immersive, multi-sensory experience and free to the public with an online RSVP.
Pike & Rose, 11580 Old Georgetown Road, North Bethesda, Md. 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., Free.

Sunday

Animal Collective DJ Set at U Street Music Hall: Head to U Street for a DJ set straight from the fellas of Animal Collective. Members Deakin, Geologist and Avery Tare will spin through the night in U Hall’s dark basement.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. 10 p.m., $10.

The Passenger In Exile Pop-Up at Bar 7: Hit cocktail bar The Passenger closed its doors Jan. 1, but that doesn’t mean it’s gone for good. Though the bar is on hiatus after shutting down its location in Mount Vernon Square, in the interim, various “The Passenger in Exile” parties will pop up across the city. The first will take place this Sunday at Bar 7, and you won’t want to miss the return of The Passenger’s signature cocktails.
Bar 7, 1015 1/2 Seventh St. NW. 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.