GW launches student contest to address social, environmental issue

A few GW students will be offered funding to help ease a social or environmental issue in the D.C. area.

In the “Eco-Equity Challenge,” the Siemens Corporation will offer $15,000 to a group of students that designs a plan to take on a local social or environmental issue, according to a release. The winning group of one to five students will partner with a local organization to implement the plans.

Students will pick an issue that affects a low-income or underserved community near D.C. and create a proposal to support that community. Projects that could directly benefit GW will be given preference in the application process.

Interested groups can meet with officials in the Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service before submitting their applications, which are due March 17.

Ronda Chapman, a sustainability project facilitator, said applicants should consider how social and environmental problems intersect.

“We want students to be innovative in developing proposals that tackle all types of social and environmental issues through community partnerships,” Chapman said in the release. “They will also benefit from working closely with community organizations throughout every step of the process – carrying out this type of project demonstrates important skills to employers.”