Corcoran students to be held to GW housing requirements

Corcoran students who are admitted to the University this year will have to follow the same housing rules as GW students, a spokesman confirmed this week.

Students who are accepted to the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design will apply to live in residence halls using GW’s iHousing system, University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said, and will be required to live on campus through junior year.

Returning Corcoran students, who were absorbed into GW as part of the school’s merger, will not face the same requirements.

Hiatt said the University has the capacity to house all students who are required to live on campus, with the number of students living in residence halls depending on the number of students admitted this year.

And the amount students pay for housing will depend on the residence hall they are placed in, Hiatt added.

Corcoran students had paid an average of $10,650 for housing before GW acquired the arts school last year. The lowest housing price at GW is $7,790 for freshmen, $10,050 for sophomores and $10,830 for upperclassmen.

Corcoran freshmen will also have a chance to apply to live in a “Creative and Performing Arts Community,” which will be housed in Thurston Hall. Thurston already offers a Globalization Community, and School of Engineering and Applied Science and Business without Borders living communities.

Returning Corcoran students will be able to apply for affinity housing. About 35 Corcoran students have lived in Mitchell Hall this academic year.

Camila Rondon, the president of the Corcoran Student Association, declined a request to comment.