This finals week, ditch Gelman for off-campus study hubs

Updated: Dec. 9, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.

Don’t get stuck hunting the stacks for empty Gelman Library study rooms. Granted, we’ve all been there. But whether you’re in need of an isolated spot to cram or a place with enough seats for your study group, head to one of these off-campus study spaces instead.

For writing a final paper

The Lerner Room at the Hirshhorn Museum
Bang out your final paper at this third-floor lounge of the Hirshhorn Museum, a little-known sanctuary with a large couch, desks, free Wi-Fi and plenty of outlets. The quiet, removed atmosphere is perfect for a solo writing session, and you can browse the galleries when you’re in need of a break. Eyes getting tired from staring at your laptop screen? The room features floor-to-ceiling windows, so you can rest your gaze on the National Mall in between paragraphs. Just don’t forget that the museum closes at 5:30 p.m., all the more reason to get your work done early.
The Lerner Room at The Hirshhorn Museum, 700 Independence Ave. SW. Open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Free admission.

Soho Tea and Coffee. Photo by Flickr user Elvert Barnes under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

For a study group

Soho Tea and Coffee
Couldn’t score a study room for your group in Gelman? Not to worry. With its neighborhood feel, large, round tables and free Wi-Fi, this no-frills coffee shop is ideal for groups. Call up some study mates, order a freshly brewed espresso or tea and get to work. When you need a pick-me-up to keep the group going, you can always grab a snack from the cafe, which offers pastries, sandwiches and desserts. Plus, the cafe stays open until 11 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 11:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, so you won’t be kicked out come 6 p.m.
Soho Tea and Coffee, 2150 P St. NW. Open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday, and 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.

For catching up on reading

The National Gallery of Art
If you’ve put off your readings for class, don’t panic. For a peaceful, chat-free space to get into your zone and power through those pages, the National Gallery of Art is the place to be. Read with a view of some of the nation’s most famous artworks while lounging on one of the many couches throughout the museum’s exhibits.
The National Gallery of Art, 6th Street and Constitution Ave. NW. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Tryst Cafe. Photo by Flickr user Alex Guerrero under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

For last-minute cramming

Tryst Cafe
When the pressure’s on, you’ll need a late-night spot to cram. Grab your Red Bull and headphones and get to work at Tryst, a coffee shop in Adams Morgan that stays open until midnight Sunday through Thursday and until 3 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Chow down or drink up some study fuel between bouts of cramming, like a lavender hot chocolate ($4) or a cinnamon honey scone ($2.75). There’s plenty of seating, from booths to tables and armchairs, plus free Wi-Fi. But be warned: The coffee shop turns off Wi-Fi on weekends between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Tryst, 2459 18th St. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 6:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday through Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 3 a.m. and Sunday 7 a.m. to midnight.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Tryst Cafe was located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. It is actually in Adams Morgan. We regret this error.