Weekend Outlook: Burn finals stress away with a Beyoncé dance workout

This post was written by Hatchet reporters Jeanine Marie and Rachel Miklaszewski.

This week is all about de-stressing, from a Hispanic film festival featuring award-winning works to holiday-themed bashes and a concert with a drag queen DJ. Plus, Beyoncé’s choreographer is in town to help you dance away the finals funk.

Thursday

Pleasurekraft at U Street Music Hall: Pleasurekraft is a collaborative group that plays clubs around the country, and they’ve worked with DJs from Deadmau5 to Sasha & Digweed. They are best known for 2012’s “Tarantula” and a series of remixes of the same name. Their latest release, “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” is a four-song album that features a light touch of EDM, masterfully blended techno beats and surprising instruments, like maracas.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. Doors at 10 p.m. Free before 11 p.m. for 21+, $15 otherwise.

Promotional poster for "Mapa."
Promotional poster for “Mapa.”

La Nueva Ola: Films from Mexico, Cuba & Spain: This four-day filmfest, presented by GALA Hispanic Theatre and the Spanish and Mexican embassies, begins with a screening of two acclaimed Hispanic films. Director Susan Casares will present her 14-minute short film, “Tryouts,” winner of the Official Selection of the 2014 SPAINred Filmmakers Competition, followed by a screening of “Mapa,” a full-length feature and “Best Documentary” winner at the 2012 Sevilla Film Festival.
GALA Hispanic Theatre, 3333 14th St. NW, 7:30 p.m. $10 suggested donation.

Friday

“Come in From the Cold” exhibition: Attend the opening reception of the new juried exhibit at the Foundry, a gallery that features paintings and drawings from artists in the D.C. area. This month’s selections relate to the winter months, celebrating both the cold outside and the refuge of the warm inside.
The Foundry Gallery, 1314 18th St. NW. Reception 6 to 8 p.m. Free.

HOMO for the Holidays: JD Samson, a drag queen DJ best known as a member of underground electro-feminist group Le Tigre, and indie-drag queen Pu$$y Noir will kick off the holiday season with groovy music and scandalous dance moves. The event is hosted by Brightest Young Things and will be filled with “Mean Girls” references, candy cane pasties and lots of glitter. Holiday attire is strongly encouraged.
Howard Theatre, 620 T St. NW. Doors at 8 p.m. $20 in advance, $25 night of.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/152916598″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Saturday

Dance Like Beyoncé: James Alsop, dance choreographer for stars like Kelly Rowland, Jennifer Lopez and Queen Bey herself, will hold three-hour-long dance workouts Saturday afternoon. The workout does not guarantee it will “Upgrade U” to flat abs or a perfectly sculpted booty, but it’s definitely a good way to de-stress and spend time with the notoriously sassy choreographer. Alsop’s recent work is featured in “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé and “Booty” by Jennifer Lopez feat. Iggy Azalea. Be sure to RSVP online because space at the pop-up studio is limited.
Cedric Terrell Studio, 415 Walker Ct. SE. Sessions available noon to 1 p.m., 2 to 3 p.m. and 4 to 5 p.m. Free.

Rockin’ the Holidays with GMCW: Wear your best (worst) holiday sweater to The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington’s annual holiday concert. GMCW will perform classic tunes like “Little Drummer Boy” and “Hallelujah” with their signature choral twist. The Washington Post called the group “one of the world’s best male choruses,” and with an invitation like “don we now our gay apparel,” how could you not?
The Lincoln Theatre, 1215 U St. NW. Doors at 6:30 p.m. Tickets $25 to $59.

Sunday

“Thank You” Classes at Ride DC: Skip pricey Soul Cycle and crowded HelWell for a day of cheap(er) indoor cycling at Ride DC. The studio is celebrating its first year of business with 45-minute classes for just $12. Burn calories, save money and give yourself another great excuse to avoid Gelman Library.
2217 14th St. NW. Classes begin at 10 a.m. $12 per class.

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue at 9:30 Club: You may not recognize his name, but 28-year-old jazz artist Troy Andrews, a.k.a Trombone Shorty, has been touring the globe since he was 12 years old. The Louisiana native hit the road with Lenny Kravitz as a teenager, played at the White House in 2012 and took the stage at the 2014 Grammy Awards. Shorty blends his smooth jazz roots with strains of funk and hip-hop to make creative, world-renowned beats with his ensemble, Orleans Avenue, which played at Lollapalooza this year.
9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. 8 p.m. $35

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/141748665″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]