Your Week: Before finals, relax with free films and crafts

Finals week is upon us.

But before your biggest priority becomes finding a study room in Gelman, take some time this week to enjoy yourself with events like a free film screening, a Hoodie Allen concert and even a “Movember” after party.

Monday

Shave the Date Movember After Party: “No Shave November” may be over, but the beard marathon’s spirit surely isn’t. Restaurant and bar Jack Rose Dining Saloon will host a “Movember” shave party in its Balcony Room, featuring free shaves by stylists of men’s hair salon Roosters of Georgetown in the event’s grooming salon, along with food and drink specials at the bar. What better way to celebrate the start of a new month than with a clean shave and a cold beer? Jack Rose urges you to “shave the date.”
Jack Rose Dining Saloon, 2007 18th St. NW. 6 to 9 p.m. Free. This is a 21+ event.

Promotional poster for "James Castle: Portrait of an Artist"
Promotional poster for “James Castle: Portrait of an Artist”

“James Castle: Portrait of an Artist” film screening: For a Monday pick-me-up, head to the Smithsonian American Art Museum for a free screening of “James Castle: Portrait of an Artist.” The documentary sheds light on the private life and creative process of American artist James Castle, whose work parallels 20th-century art history – even though he had no knowledge of art outside his home in Idaho. Stick around for a post-screening discussion with director Jeffrey Wolf and museum curators Nicholas Bell and Leslie Umberger, and don’t forget to browse the 54 pieces by Castle on display at the museum.
McEvoy Auditorium at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, 8th and F streets NW. 6:30 p.m. Free.

Tuesday

Playworks Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament: The classic game you learned at recess gets a much-needed revival Tuesday night at Penn Social, which will host the third annual Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament. Over 12 teams will join individual players to fight for the title of tournament champ, enjoying prizes and food and drink specials all night. Plus, all proceeds benefit DC Playworks, which uses “rock, paper, scissors” to teach conflict resolution to kids in 18 public schools in the District.
Penn Social, 801 E St. NW. Doors at 5:30 p.m., tournament at 6:30 p.m. $10 suggested donation.

New Build and Museum of Love at U Street Music Hall: In their latest album, “Pour It On,” the duo behind London-based electro-pop group New Build blends funk bass with soulful vocals and synth sounds. The Hot Chip spin off will be joined onstage by Museum of Love, where former LCD Soundsystem member Pat Mahoney and Dennis McNany mix melodic ’80s pop with indie rock.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. 9 p.m. $10

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/176251882″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Wednesday

Hoodie Allen. Photo by Flickr user Tiffany Ronquillo under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Hoodie Allen with Chiddy Bang at The Fillmore: New York City native and alternative hip-hop guru Hoodie Allen will join forces with Chiddy Bang’s buzzy, jumbled rap for a night of witty lyrics, upbeat tunes and pop-rap beats. Chiddy Bang, who broke the world record for longest freestyle in 2011 with a nine-hour performance, is the perfect compliment to Hoodie Allen, who has earned a reputation for fast-paced raps and clever rhymes.
The Fillmore, 8656 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Md. 8 p.m. $36.50

Handi-Hour at the Smithsonian American Art Museum: Craft-lovers, cancel your Wednesday plans. At this monthly D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) night, you’ll munch on snacks, sip up to two free drinks, enjoy live music by local artists and craft the night away for just $20. This month’s theme is birds, so be sure to freshen up your creativity with a visit to the museum’s exhibit, “The Singing and the Silence: Birds in Contemporary Art,” before you arrive.
The Smithsonian American Art Museum, 8th and F streets NW. 5:30 to 8 p.m. $20. This is a 21+ event.

Thursday

“Neo-Impressionism and the Dream of Realities”: For this month’s installment of “Phillips After 5,” The Phillips Collection explores dreams. At this after-hours event, you’ll hear worldly sounds by the Wytold Ensemble, join a discussion of Neo-Impressionist works, enjoy a live performance by composers inspired by Impressionism and even learn the story of how the creator of Grey Goose vodka came up with the idea for the company through a dream. Just make sure to reserve a spot ahead of time for this popular event.
The Phillips Collection, 1600 21st St. NW. 5 to 8:30 p.m. $12 admission, $10 with student ID.

“Friend Me” at The Art League: Be the first to see the work of jeweler Whitney Staiger in her first solo exhibit, “Friend Me,” which opens Dec. 4. With her handmade brass necklaces, Staiger displays the public posts of friends alongside details of their private lives, exploring the extent to which we curate our image through social media. The result? A thoughtful and unexpected collection that is sure to make viewers rethink their public profiles.
The Art League, 105 North Union St., Alexandria, Va. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursdays until 9 p.m., Sundays noon to 6 p.m. Free.