SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

ANC asks for University-led patrols of Foggy Bottom neighborhood

Members of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission discuss late-night noise patrols at Wednesday's meeting.  Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Members of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission discuss late-night noise patrols at Wednesday’s meeting.
Andrew Goodman | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Robin Eberhardt.

Foggy Bottom’s local governing body approved a resolution Wednesday that asks GW to begin late-night patrols off campus.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission unanimously voted in favor of a resolution asking the University to have staff members patrol the neighborhood on Thursday and weekend nights to break up parties past 10 p.m.

The plan calls for adopt a model similar to one that Georgetown University already uses. The suggested patrol system would not include members of the University Police Department.

Britany Waddell, director of community relations for GW, said at the meeting that the University will consider reevaluating their current system next semester. In August, the University nailed down formal sanctions for students who live off-campus and violate noise and trash codes put in place by the city, and Waddell added at the meeting that the University wanted time for these sanctions to be in place before adding additional changes.

“I can’t make any promises tonight,” Waddell said.

In September, Foggy Bottom neighbors announced their plans of neighborhood patrols, a group of residents who walk through the streets and report noisy townhouse parties.

One commissioner, Asher Corson, said two Foggy Bottom neighbors, who have slammed the University for their enforcement of noise laws off-campus, contacted the Metropolitan Police Department and found that Georgetown’s patrol system was legally within the rights of the university.

Neighbors have said they want the University to officially adopt Georgetown University’s plan for the past year.

“It’s a legal system that we can also implement here in Foggy Bottom,” Corson said.