Weekend Outlook: Kick off the holidays with ice skating and concerts

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Ruby Lee.

With only three weeks of classes left in the semester (yes, it’s that soon), take advantage of D.C.’s arts scene before the cold weather comes and finals strike.

This weekend’s lineup includes performances like a free show by college-age indie band Jack + Eliza, plus an opening party at FotoWeekDC, a Bollywood film festival and a food market showcasing vendors like Momofuku and Shake Shack.

Thursday

Stars at 9:30 Club: Synth-pop takes center stage at the 9:30 Club as Stars performs a mix of old and new. After releasing their first album over 14 years ago, Stars has maintained a presence in the music industry because of their sonically elaborate and emotionally stirring tracks. Look forward to classics like “Your Ex-Lover Is Dead” and “Thunderstruck” as well as songs from their latest album, “No One Is Lost.” Hey Rosetta! will open.
9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. $25.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/169464458″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

GEMS with Tei Shi and VÉRITÉ at U Street Music Hall: If you’re looking for a night of intoxicating pop and dark vocals, then head over to U Street Music Hall for performances by Gems, Tei Shi and VÉRITÉ. D.C.-based duo GEMS offers dreamlike, heartbreaking pop tracks that bring out your inner existentialist – see their hit “Medusa,” which includes lyrics like “I used to feel so free, the way we used to be, time got away from me.” Follow-up performances by Hype Machine favorites Tei Shi and VÉRITÉ promise layered female vocals and addictive pop hooks. Look forward to Tei Shi’s “Bassically” and VÉRITÉ’s “Strange Enough.” Flash Frequency will DJ between sets.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. 8 p.m. $12.

Friday

Jack + Eliza In-Store Performance at Hill & Dale: New York-based indie duo Jack + Eliza will make an afternoon appearance at Georgetown record store Hill & Dale. Teen Vogue, New York Magazine and Paste Magazine have all noted the sophomores at New York University and Columbia University for their surf-rock revival style. Fans of She & Him and The Beatles will be thrilled with Jack + Eliza’s overlapping vocals and guitars in songs like “Hold The Line” and “Secrets” from their first EP “No Wonders.” Stop by for a free performance and ask them to sign a copy of their EP. If you can’t get enough, check them out as openers for Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. at the 9:30 Club.
Hill & Dale, 1054 31st St. NW. 4 p.m. Free.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/159849793″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

FotoBazaar 2014 Opening Party: Continue FotoWeekDC 2014 festivities with a celebration of local photography and get a sneak peek at FotoBazaar, the District’s massive for-sale gallery. Hosted at FotoBazaar Central, a staggering 25,000-square-foot exhibition space, this Opening Party promises fun for all. Partygoers can look forward to photobooths, live DJs and the chance to meet some of D.C.’s coolest photographers and curators while sipping on drinks from the open bar. All proceeds go to FotoWeekDC, a non-profit organization.
51 N St. NE. 6:30 to 10 p.m. $15 presale and $20 day of. This event is 21+.

The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden skating rink. Photo by Flickr user Miranda Celeste Hale under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Ice Skating at National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden: Celebrate the beginning of the holiday season with this quintessential winter tradition. This night will mark the opening of the ice skating rink at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. Glide along the ice as holiday music plays and enjoy the beautiful tree-lined backdrop filled with sculptures. Tip: Check out the rink at night when it’s lit up for the most festive vibe.
National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden, 700 Constitution Ave. NW. Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. $7 admission with student ID. $3 skate rental.

Saturday

Smithsonian Presents: The Beyond Bollywood Film Festival: Part of the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center’s Exhibition “Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation,” the film festival promises both short and feature films for your Bollywood fix. Films range from comedies to dramas, focusing on the lives of Indian immigrants and American Indians. Follow-up discussion with Indian American directors and actors will cover topics like migration, cultural connections and identity within the Indian American community.
National Museum of Natural History, 1000 Constitution Ave. NW. 1 to 9:15 p.m. Free.

The Capital City Showcase: Laugh off work-week stress at The Capital City Showcase, a show dedicated to highlighting the District’s art scene, which will take over The DC Arts Center for a night jam-packed with comedy specials. Capital City promises fun for all in a variety format that features some of the District’s best local performers, including Danny Charnley, Dana Fleitman, Zia Hassan and The Sweater Set.
The DC Arts Center, 2438 18th St. NW. 10 to 11:30 p.m. $10 online and $15 at the door.

Sunday

TV on the Radio at 9:30 Club: Indie rock favorites TV on the Radio will perform on the eve of the release of their fifth studio album, “Seeds.” Known for their eccentricities, TV on the Radio draws their influence from sources ranging from the Pixies to Nancy Sinatra. The resulting mix of punk, rock, soul and funk guarantees you’ll be on your toes all night. Expect fan favorites like “Wolf Like Me” and “DLZ” along with new songs like “Careful You.” Natasha Kmeto will open.
9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. $52+ on StubHub.

Pork belly bun from Momofuku, a vendor at Emporiyum. Photo by Flickr user Arnold Gatilao under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

The Emporiyum Food Market: Want to check out the latest it-foods and sample treats like chocolate-dipped pretzel rods or Maine-style lobster rolls? Head over to The Emporiyum Food Market on its final day in D.C. This one-of-a-kind marketplace highlights a mix of delightful new treats. Some of the vendors lined up include Momofuku Milk Bar (known for their enticing Crack Pie), Mast Brothers, Shake Shack, Astro Doughnuts and Taco Bamba Taqueria. A live DJ and cocktail samples are an added bonus. Ticket pays for admission, a complimentary tote and samples, so it’ll only be extra if you want some full-sized treats.
Union Market, 1309 5th St. NE. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. $20.