SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

Carvings temporarily shuts down after GW maintenance stops hot water

Carvings closed Wednesday after losing hot water. Jacqueline Thomsen | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Carvings owner Sang Kyu Choi posted a sign over a D.C. Department of Health notice explaining the closure was due to a hot water stoppage. Jacqueline Thomsen | Hatchet Staff Photographer
The D.C. Department of Health temporarily shut down Carvings after the deli lost hot water on Wednesday.

The hot water failure was due to GW maintenance work on the water pumps that serve Carvings and Potomac House, which are part of the same building, University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt said.

“The university today worked to regulate the water temperature in Potomac Hall, which briefly affected hot water pumps serving Carvings,” Hiatt said.

Health inspectors posted a sign on the front door Wednesday stating that the store was in violation of D.C. food code regulations, “which presents an imminent health hazard to the public.”┬áDOH spokeswoman Kristen Randolph confirmed a hot water stoppage was the only violation.

Carvings owner Sang Kyu Choi said hot water is again running and the deli will reopen on Thursday after a second health inspection, which he expects to pass.

District food safety regulations require that hot water in restaurants reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit.