Alumni: How did they fare in the midterms?

Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), was one of at least nine GW alumni running in the midterm elections this year. His race is still too close to call. Hatchet File Photo.
Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., was one of at least nine GW alumni running in the midterm elections this year. His race is still too close to call. Hatchet File Photo

At least nine GW alumni ran for House, Senate and gubernatorial seats in this year’s midterm elections.

Here’s a rundown of the winners and losers after Tuesday’s votes were counted, with updates to come as other races are called.

1. Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.

Enzi won a fourth term in the U.S. Senate representing Wyoming after beating out Democratic challenger Charlie Hardy, the Associated Press projected.

The 70-year-old graduated from GW in 1966 with a bachelor’s degree in accounting before launching his 40-year political career. And in a pre-Election Day interview with The Hatchet, Enzi advised politically-minded GW students to “get a real job first.”

2. Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y.

Israel, who is also the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, held onto his seat in New York’s third district Tuesday night after defeating Republican opponent Grant Lally, Politico reported.

Israel, who graduated from GW with a bachelor’s degree in 1982, has served in Congress since 2001 and is the most powerful GW alumnus serving in the House of Representatives – at least since Eric Cantor lost his seat in a primary upset this summer.

3. Rep. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill.

Duckworth fended off a challenge from Republican Larry Kaifesh and won another two years in the House, the AP reported.

Duckworth graduated from the Elliott School of International Affairs in 1992 with a master’s degree in international affairs. She is the the first Thai member of Congress and the first disabled woman to serve in Congress. Duckworth lost both of her legs in combat while serving in Iraq in 2004.

4. Rep. Sam Johnson, R-Tx.

Johnson secured a 13th term in his state’s third district in a landslide against Green Party candidate Paul Blair, the AP confirmed.

Johnson, 84, graduated from GW in 1974 after serving in Korea and Vietnam.

5. Rep. John Duncan, R-Tenn.

Duncan, a 1973 GW Law School graduate, added another two years to his 26-year congressional career after winning re-election Tuesday, according to the New York Times.

6. John Foust

This law school graduate lost his bid to represent Virginia’s 10th District to a Georgetwon University law school graduate, Rep. Barbara Comstock, the Associated Press reported.

Foust, 63, graduated from GW’s law school in 1981.

7, 8 & 9: Too close to call

Three alumni, Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., Rep. Julia Brownley, D-Calif., and U.S. Virgin Islands Delegate Donna Christensen have yet to be declared the winners or losers in tight races.

Warner was expected to win an easy reelection, but the race is now within a 1-point margin, according to the latest count, with the alumnus slightly ahead.

Warner and Brownley are running for their second terms, and Christensen is running to be governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands.