Your Week: After a novel-writing session, a music entrepreneur panel

Break out the Thanksgiving recipes and stock up on extra scarves – November is here.

Kick off the month with a National Novel Writing Month write-in session and speaker events with eco-friendly artist Asher Jay or music industry entrepreneur Panos Panay.

Monday

National Novel Writing Month challenges writers to complete an original novel in 30 days. Photo by Flickr user dotmatchbox under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.
November is National Novel Writing Month. Photo by Flickr user dotmatchbox under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

National Novel Writing Month Write-In: The D.C. Public Library will celebrate National Novel Writing month, which challenges writers to complete the first draft of an original novel in 30 days, with a series of free write-in sessions. Grab your laptop or notebook, or opt to use one of the library’s public computers, and meet with other aspiring authors to work on your masterpiece and enjoy some friendly competition.
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G St. NW. 5 p.m. Free.

Leslie Nolan’s “Beyond the Edge:” Don’t miss the last day of local artist and GW alumna Leslie Nolan’s exhibit, “Beyond the Edge,” a series of portraits that aims to express personality with strong gestures and vibrant colors. The exhibit, which will finish its month-long stretch at The Art League on Monday, puts human emotion – for better or for worse – on display.
The Art League, 105 North Union St., Alexandria, Va. Open Monday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Free.

Tuesday

The Brixton. Photo by Flickr user geek2chic under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

The DMV Roast of Mayoral Candidates: The Capital City showcase is back with its latest DMV Roast, a monthly event at U Street pub The Brixton. This month’s topic? The District’s mayoral candidates. Local comedians will play the parts of candidates Muriel Bowser, David Catania and Carol Schwartz, while comics like D.C.’s Dylan Meyer and Reggie Melbrough will take on the roasting.
The Brixton, 901 U St. NW. 7 p.m. doors, 8 p.m. show. Free.

The Art Of The Matter with Asher Jay: Eco-friendly artist and fashion designer Asher Jay, this year’s National Geographic Emerging Explorer, will share her latest creation: A multimedia project on African wildlife called “Beyond the Frame in Focus.” The artist is formerly known for her work condemning the illegal trade of ivory, which included an animated billboard in Times Square among other initiatives focused on protecting the planet.
Grosvenor Auditorium at National Geographic Live, 1600 M St. NW. 7:30 p.m. $24

Wednesday

“Music, Technology and the Entrepreneur” panel: Aspiring entrepreneurs, head over to the Library of Congress for a chat with Panos Panay, founder of SonicBids, a site that connects bands with gigs, who will speak about breaking into the music industry as an entrepreneur. Panay will be joined by panelists like David Dufresne, founder of musician website platform “Bandzoogle,” and recent Berklee graduates Ethan Schiff and Nathan Susi. Don’t forget your business card, as the event promises time for networking.
Madison Building at the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE. 7:30 p.m. Free.

Winter Glow 2014 Opening Reception: For a mid-week treat, head over to this free indoor art festival hosted by the Art League of Germantown, a nonprofit organization promoting emerging artists. Score some dorm decor and chat with local artists at the festival’s opening reception, which will feature artwork from drawing and photography to wood-carving and jewelry, all available for purchase, plus artist demonstrations and meet-and-greets. If you can’t make it to the reception, don’t stress – the festival will run through Nov. 9.
Main Gallery at the BlackRock Center for the Arts, 12901 Town Commons Dr., Germantown, Md. 3 to 8 p.m. Free.

Thursday

Nightfall with Edgar Allen Poe: Still not over Halloween? We’ve got your post-holiday blues covered. Thursday is opening night for the Molotov Theatre Group production of “Nightfall with Edgar Allen Poe,” a play centered on the horror author’s four best-known works: “The Raven,” “The Fall of the House of Usher,” “The Pit and the Pendulum” and “The Tell-Tale Heart.”
D.C. Arts Center, 2438 18th St. NW. 7:30 p.m. $25

Chris Malinchak at U Street Music Hall: Best known for his debut single “So Good to Me,” New York-based singer Chris Malinchak will perform at U Street Music Hall this Thursday. Drop by to hear more of the singer’s bubbly, sunny tunes, like “Stranger” and “Happiness.” The show encompasses only the best of combinations: A cheap price for a rich performance. DJ Ozker will open.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. 10 p.m. $10

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/64515659″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]