Your Week: Don’t miss these speakers, including a ‘Lord of the Rings’ actor

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Jeanine Marie.

Make the most of your week and check out speakers touring D.C., from “Lord of the Rings” actor Sean Astin to Greek chef Aglaia Kremezi.

Monday

Author Reading: Eimear McBride: Irish author Eimear McBride will read from her stream-of-consciousness debut novel, “A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing,” at Georgetown’s Irish pub, Rírá. The novel, which follows a young woman’s relationship with her young brother who has a brain tumor, is McBride’s first book and has won numerous awards, including the Kerry Group Irish Novel of the Year and the Bailey’s Prize for Women’s Fiction.
Rírá Georgetown, 3125 M St. NW. 7 p.m. Free.

Actor Sean Astin, best known for his role in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Photo by Flickr user Ian Aberle under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.
Actor Sean Astin is best known for his role in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Photo by Flickr user Ian Aberle under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Sean Astin at the National Press Club: Actor-turned-talk show host Sean Astin will discuss his career and bipartisan NPR talkshow, Vox Populi. Astin began his acting career as Mikey Walsh in “The Goonies” and is best known for playing Samwise Gamgee in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. He now voices Raphael on “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.”
The National Press Club. 529 14th St. NW. 6:30 p.m. $20.

Tuesday

Temples at the 9:30 Club: The psychedelic U.K. indie band, which has been compared to contemporaries Jagwar Ma, Foxygen and Surfer Blood, will hit 9:30 Club on Tuesday. The up-and-coming band is known for twangy background beats and trippy melodies, exemplified by “Shelter Song.”
9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors at 7 p.m. $22.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/53261622″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

40th Anniversary of the Hirshhorn Museum: With the addition of two new major exhibits, a new director and gallery renovations, the Hirshhorn’s 40th anniversary celebration is the perfect excuse to put off studying (for art’s sake). This year, the museum acquired works by the Guerrilla Girls, Laurel Nakadate, Catherine Opie and Thomas Struth, which are on exhibit as part of the celebration.
The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Independence Avenue and Seventh St. SW. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Free.

Wednesday

Greek chef Aglaia Kremezi will speak at Mediterranean restaurant Zaytinya.

Earth Trivia at Bier Baron Tavern: Instead of spending hours in front of the TV yelling out answers to “Jeopardy!,” test your worldy knowledge while chowing down on pub grub Wednesday at Bier Baron Tavern. Traveling trivia group Earth Trivia, known for quirky questions and fun hosts, will lead a night of trivia in which any topic, no matter how random, is fair game.
The Bier Baron Tavern, 1523 22nd St. NW. 4 to 9:30 p.m. Trivia is free.

Aglaia Kremezi at Jose Andres’ Zaytinya: Greek chef and journalist Aglaia Kremezi, who runs a cooking school in Kea, Greece, will sign copies of her new cookbook of vegetarian mediterranean meals. After you meet the bestselling author, grab a bite from Zaytinya’s eclectic menu, which features modern twists on Turkish, Lebanese and Greek classics. A cocktail reception will follow.
Zaytinya, 701 9th St. NW. 6 p.m. Free.

Thursday

Ha!lloween Comedy Night: Local comedian and feminist activist Dana Fleitman will host a night of costume-clad comedy, featuring Jessica Brodkin, Jamel Johnson, Josh Kuderna, Matty Litwack and Natalie McGill. A costume contest will kick off the ghoul-themed evening, followed by stand-up performances that promise to “slay” the crowd.
The Bier Baron Tavern, 1523 22nd St. NW. Doors at 6:30 p.m., comedy at 8 p.m. $10.

Riff Raff at The Fillmore: The self-parodying rapper Riff Raff and his grillz will start Halloween weekend alongside Waka Flocka Flame. Riff Raff recently released two singles (or should we say, singlez), “Hurtin Boyz Feelinz” and “Real Boyz,” in which his references include Miley Cyrus and V8 juice. Waka Flocka Flame is best known for 2010’s “No Hands,” featuring Roscoe Dash and Wale, but has since worked with big names like Nicki Minaj and Tyler the Creator.
The Fillmore, 8656 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Md. Doors at 9 p.m. $38. 

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/164304097″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]