Your Week: Music must-dos, from EDM to California surf-pop

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Ruby Lee.

This week is all about music, with artists from EDM wonderkid Porter Robinson to global singer-songwriter Markéta Irglová and surf-pop queen La Femme gracing the stage at venues around D.C.

Plus, scroll on for other must-dos, like an improv comedy battle and a storytelling contest.

Monday

Porter Robinson performs alongside DJ Skrillex. Photo by Flickr user digboston under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Porter Robinson at 9:30 Club: EDM artist Porter Robinson continues his tour in D.C. tonight after a year of performances at electronic music fests like Tomorrowland and Electric Daisy. The 22-year-old is known for releases like “Say My Name,” “Easy” and a handful of remixes of top tracks by the likes of Avicii and Lady Gaga. This tour marks his first full-length album, “Worlds.”
9:30 Club, 815 V Street NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. $40.

Markéta Irglová at The Hamilton: Known for her sweet, idyllic vocals and skillful piano playing, Czech singer-songwriter Markéta Irglová has been one to watch since she won an Academy Award for her work on the “Once” movie soundtrack. Her newest album, “Muna” — Icelandic for ‘remember’ — draws inspiration from the landscape of Iceland and Irglová’s Iranian collaborator Aida Shahghasemi. Expect a mix of global sounds and influences as Irglová dives further into the concept of ethereal music.
The Hamilton,600 14th Street NW. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for 7:30 p.m. show. $18-25.

Improv Wars at Source TheaterIf you’re looking for some comic relief to relieve the stress of midterms, Improv Wars has you covered. The series features one-on-one battles between different comedy troupes in the District, jam-packed with heated comedy and lots of laughs. The rules are simple: Anything goes and the audience determines the winner. Monday night will feature current Improv Wars champions “Door #3” versus “Press Play.”
Source Theater, 1835 14th Street NW. 7:30 p.m. Tickets $10 online, $15 cash only at the door.

Tuesday

New Politics at 9:30 Club: Known for hits like “Harlem” and “Tonight You’re Perfect,” New Politics has been on the rise since their debut album in 2010. The real jump in notoriety came with the release of their latest work, “Bad Girl in Harlem,” which reflects the band’s relocation from Denmark to Williamsburg. Watch out for songs that jump between pop and punk rock and catchy hooks that will be stuck in your head for days to come.
9:30 Club, 815 V Street NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. $20.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/89093588″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Speakeasy DC Presents Do-Gooders Gone BadGood intentions gone wrong? Storytelling community SpeakeasyDC has centered an entire show on just this topic. Stop by and watch first-time and regular storytellers take the mic, each telling a true story on the the theme. Tip: Arrive up to an hour early to make sure you snag a seat.
Town Danceboutique, 2009 8th Street NW. 8 p.m. $15. This is a 21+ event.

Wednesday

La Femme at U Street Music HallSelf-described as a mix between French and Californian surf-pop, La Femme busts out heart-racing hits that combine the best of electro, punk and rock. The band establishes their own unique sound by blending together various musical elements with multiple voices. Get ready for the perfect mix of catchy French lyrics and the head-nodding melodies that have sparked a worldwide following.
U Street Music Hall, 1115 U Street NW. 7 p.m. $15.

The National Museum of Women in the Arts. Photo by Flickr user NCinDC under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Gallery Talk: The First Woman Graphic Novelist: The National Museum of Women in the Arts offers weekly talks by museum staff to further explore exhibitions. Gain a better understanding of women in the arts this week as Heather Slania, director of the Betty Boyd Dettre Library and Research Center, discusses selections from an exhibition on the first woman graphic novelist, Helena Bochořáková-Dittrichová.

The National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Avenue NW. 12 p.m. Free.

Thursday

DC Reads: Book Discussion: readers from around the District will be coming together to read Dinaw Mengestu “The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears,” as part of DC Reads, a library literacy program that promotes free reading for teens and adults by focusing on one book citywide. Head over to the Georgetown Public Library for discussion of the novel and the cultural problems put forth by the text.

Georgetown Public Library, 3260 R Street NW. 7:30 p.m. Free.

Promotional poster for "Geographically Desirable."
Promotional poster for “Geographically Desirable.”

Reel Independent Film Extravaganza at West End CinemaDon’t miss the last day of this year’s Reel Independent Film Extravaganza, a weeklong festival that celebrates emerging artists. The final night features rom com “Geographically Desirable,” the story of a D.C. workaholic and her journey of self-discovery, along with shorts “Audition” and “Into the Cave of Wonders,” which profile a woman’s audition gone wrong and the Cave of Wonders in Spain, respectively.
West End Cinema, 2301 M Street NW. 7 p.m. $8.46 with Student I.D.