SGA Senate adds two positions to executive cabinet
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024
Officials to begin HVAC, roof repairs this weekend
By Jenna Lee, Assistant News Editor • July 12, 2024

Elliott School launches GW’s fifth dean search in three years

Elliott School of International Affairs Dean Michael Brown announced last week that he would leave his position this spring. Hatchet File Photo.
Elliott School of International Affairs Dean Michael Brown announced last week that he would leave his position by the end of the academic year. Hatchet File Photo.
The Elliott School of International Affairs is immediately launching a search for a new leader to replace Dean Michael Brown, University President Steven Knapp said Tuesday.

The search will be GW’s fifth in the last three years, and the second GW will conduct this fall. A committee of Elliott School professors, administrators and students will interview candidates before likely inviting a group of finalists to campus this spring.

Brown, who announced he would step down after a decade at the school’s helm last week, was the last holdover dean from former University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg’s 19-year tenure.

The School of Nursing will continue to search for a replacement for Dean Jean Johnson this fall. Johnson plans to remain in her role as dean until December, Knapp said at a Faculty Assembly meeting Tuesday.

In June 2013, Johnson announced she would step down by the end of the 2014 academic year, but agreed to stay on until a replacement was chosen. The University pushed off the search after the GW School of Business unexpectedly had to find a replacement for former dean Doug Guthrie, who was fired last fall.