Sophomore to lead Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity

A sophomore will serve as president of GW's Phi Sigma Kappa chapter for the rest of the semester. The change comes after a student reported that she was sexually assaulted at the chapter's townhouse at 601 21st St. Hatchet File Photo by Nicole Radivilov | Contributing Photo Editor
A sophomore will serve as president of GW’s Phi Sigma Kappa chapter for the rest of the semester. The change comes after a student reported that she was sexually assaulted at the chapter’s townhouse at 601 21st St. Hatchet File Photo by Nicole Radivilov | Contributing Photo Editor
Updated: Oct. 2, 2014 at 8:57 p.m.

Sophomore Toby Nagel will lead Phi Sigma Kappa for the rest of the fall semester, he confirmed this week.

Nagel replaces former president Sonny Finch, who did not return requests for comment.

The change in leadership comes after a female student reported last month that she was sexually assaulted by a male student in the chapter’s privately owned townhouse at 601 21st St.

Nagel was selected two weeks ago to serve as president of the chapter, said Foggy Bottom Grocery owner Kris Hart, one of the chapter’s advisers and Nagel’s half brother.

Hart, an alumnus who served as president of the chapter when he attended GW, said the fraternity has had a “difficult month.”

“When the extremely unfortunate circumstances went down, and we don’t know much about it, he decided to step up and take a leadership role in a time of very difficult stress,” Hart said.

Center for Student Engagement Director Tim Miller and Greek Life Director Christina Witkowicki declined to comment on the new president or provide an update on an investigation into the reported assault. University spokesman Kurtis Hiatt deferred to the chapter’s national organization.

In an interview last month, Miller said GW is working with the national organization to investigate the alleged assault, which was reported Aug. 28. Miller said then that the investigation would likely be ongoing “for a while.”

“Any time you’re talking about an incident that involves any group, you have to make determinations that we haven’t been able to make yet about which one is responsible – the organization or a member,” Miller said.

Miller said once the investigation is complete, any sanctions against PSK would be posted on the University’s list of sanctioned student organizations.

Michael Carey, the national organization’s executive vice president, said he could not comment because the investigation is ongoing.

“I have been working with my chapter and GW administrators to resolve this matter accordingly,” Carey said.

A spokesman at the Metropolitan Police Department had no update on the case Thursday, which he said remains open.

Peyton Zere, president of the Interfraternity Council, did not return a request for comment.

The assault marks at least the fifth sexual abuse to be reported in a Greek townhouse over the last two years.

Eva Palmer contributed reporting.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported Nagel is Hart’s step brother. He is his half brother. We regret this error.