Junior pronounced dead Friday identified

The student pronounced dead Friday morning was 20-year-old junior William Gwathmey, according to police records.

Gwathmey had gone to several nightclubs, consumed alcohol and used cocaine the night before, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report. He returned to a room in The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton on 23rd Street, where another man later found him “unresponsive and unconscious” on a couch and called 911.

Emergency medical technicians checked Gwathmey’s vital signs with “negative results” and performed CPR before taking him to GW Hospital. A doctor pronounced him dead at 8:46 a.m.

Gwathmey, who was studying in the GW School of Business, lived in New York City, according to the report.

He was a 2012 graduate of Collegiate High School in New York City, where he played varsity basketball, tennis and was a member of the Young Republicans, according to his LinkedIn page. He worked for the New York-based construction company Regele Builders Inc. during the summer of 2013.

Gwathmey’s family did not immediately wish to comment.

MPD is investigating the case. A spokesman said Saturday that he could not confirm an official cause of death because the D.C. Medical Examiner’s report is not yet complete.

The University’s Division of Student Affairs is “reaching out directly to those students most affected by this devastating loss to offer support,” according to a University statement. Members of the community can contact the University Counseling Center at 202-994-5300.