Weekend Outlook: Music festivals, beer festivals and pop-up thrift shops

Gear up for a D.C. weekend that offers festivals, a free film screening and a thrifty pop-up shop.

Friday

Entrance to the National Zoo. Photo by Flickr user "Gray Lensman QX!" under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.
Entrance to the National Zoo. Photo by Flickr user “Gray Lensman QX!” under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Rock n Roar at the National Zoo: At the National Zoo’s annual “Rock n Roar,” you’ll sample from wine and beer vendors, dance to tunes by this year’s headliner, The Fray, and help benefit animal care and conservation, all in the company of the zoo’s 300 species of animals. Reserve your student tickets online and don’t forget to bring a blanket and lawn chair for the outdoor event.

The National Zoo, 3001 Connecticut Ave. NW. 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets: $45 for students.

“The Music Lovers” Film Screening: The Library of Congress presents a free screening of Ken Russell’s 1970 classic musical film “The Music Lovers,” a bizarre tale about the marriage of a homosexual and nymphomaniac. The film, screened as part of the library’s September “Film Nights” series, stars Richard Chamberlain and Glenda Jackson.

Mary Pickford Theater at the Library of Congress James Madison Building, 101 Independence Ave. SE. Screening begins at 7 p.m. Free, although RSVP is required.

Saturday

Promotional poster for the All Things Go Fall Classic. Photo courtesy of All Things Go.

All Things Go Fall Classic: Head to Union Market for the inaugural All Things Go Fall Classic, hosted by D.C.-based music blog All Things Go. The festival, co-founded by 2011 alumnus Zack Friendly, will feature indie pop headliners Tove Lo and Future Islands along with food vendors like Takorean and Dolcezza.

Union Market, 1309 5th St. NE. Noon to 10 p.m. Tickets: $50 general advance, $60 at door.

Snallygaster DC: The third annual “gargantuan beer jamboree” will be held Saturday, promising over 250 craft beers plus live music and food trucks for six hours of boozy belligerence. Listen to DJ sets by Brau Brothers and Brett, snack on bites from D.C. Empanadas and GBD Chicken and Doughnuts and of course, drink beer, all in support of non-profit Arcadia Food.

The Yards, First and N Streets SE. 1 to 6 p.m. Tickets: $30.

The Yorke Exchange at Source DC: Not in the festival mood? Check out The Yorke Exchange, a pop-up thrift boutique specializing in quality women’s contemporary wear. Browse the racks on the second floor of artistic venue Source DC.

Source DC, 1835 14th St. NW. 1 to 6 p.m. Free.

Sunday

“I Remember U” Live Mixtape Experience: This free concert event combines poetry, spoken word, emceeing and beats for a unique performance in tribute to U Street’s ‘90s-era music scene. Performers include Ra Brown, Asheru, Poem-Cees and DJ Stylus.

Kennedy Center Millenium Stage, 2700 F St. NW. Event begins at 6 p.m. Free.

Jack White at the Merriweather Post Pavilion: Jack White is the jack-of-all-trades: Originally the frontman of The White Stripes, White has since collaborated with or become a member of bands like The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather. Witness the legendary musician/producer/music video director (and occasional actor) live Sunday alongside songstress Olivia Jean, whose debut album will be produced by White himself.

Merriweather Post Pavilion, 10475 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Md. Doors 6 p.m., show 7:30 p.m. Tickets: $40 to $70.