Your Week: A hip-hop tribute and popsicle art

From a tribute concert to a meet-the-author event and even a free kickboxing class, we’ve got after-class activities to keep your stress at bay this week.

Monday

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist’s Renegades of Rhythm Tour: DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist will team up for a tribute to Afrika Bambaataa, founder of the hip-hop awareness group Zulu Nation and proclaimed “Godfather” of hip-hop culture. The duo will add their personal twist to Bambaataa’s original vinyls in a show consisting of six turntables, two mixers and vintage 70’s-era DJing equipment.

The Fillmore Silver Spring, 8656 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Md. 9 p.m. General Admission tickets: $43.

Sir Sly and Wolf Gang, Secret Someones: Hip hop not your style? Stop by U Street Music Hall instead to hear indie pop beats by Sir Sly and London-based alternative rock band Wolf Gang, which will release its debut album Sept. 16. The groups will perform with Secret Someones, a band of folk singer-songwriters known for raw, emotive lyrics and smooth harmonies. They recently released their debut EP, “I Won’t Follow.”

U Street Music Hall, 1115 U St. NW. 7 p.m. Tickets: $15.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/57835657″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Tuesday

Meet author Joshua Wolf Shenk: Author of “Powers of Two: Finding the Essence of Innovation in Creative Pairs,” Joshua Wolf Shenk is a firm believer that two minds are better than one. Shenk will lead a talk on the power of creative duos, exploring examples of pairs like John Lennon and Paul McCartney to argue that the greatest results come from collaboration. Get tickets for $12, or purchase the book for $28 and receive two free tickets.

Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, 600 I St. NW. Doors open at 6 p.m., event begins at 7 p.m. Tickets: $12.

Fruition at The Hamilton: Known for their vagabond lifestyle and love for travel, the quintet behind Fruition brings together a sound that encapsulates their adventurous leanings and bohemian way of life. The band released the 11-track album “Just One of Them Nights” in June, which features bluesy harmonies and bluegrass vibes. Still on the fence about the group? Plug in to “Mountain Annie” or “Blue Light,” two popular tracks off the band’s new album.

The Hamilton, 600 14th St. NW. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets: $15 to $18.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/147486980″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Hazed: Stories about Initiations and Rites of Passage: SpeakeasyDC will host its monthly storytelling series Tuesday, when eight to 10 locals will share stories related to this month’s theme: initiations and rites of passage. The show begins at 8 p.m., but be sure to get there early to save your seat at this first-come, first-serve event. Have your own story to tell? Pitch it online for the chance to take it to the stage.

Town Danceboutique, 2009 8th St. NW. 8 p.m. Tickets: $15. This is a 21+ event.

Wednesday

Die Antwoord performs in Vancouver, BC. Photo by Flickr user "kris krüg" under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.
Die Antwoord performs in Vancouver. Photo by Flickr user “kris krüg” under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

Die Antwoord at Echostage: This South African group blends rave with rap, producing an eclectic sound with singles that vary in style from club bangers to ambient beats to spoken word tracks and more. The concert will feature sounds from the group’s third album, “Donker Mag,” released in June.

Echostage, 2135 Queens Chapel Road NE. 7:00 p.m. Tickets: $40.

Pop: Everlasting at BlackRock Center for the Arts: Be the first to see the summer-inspired paintings of local artist Cory Oberndorfer, whose exhibit opens Wednesday. The paintings, which portray colorful, dripping popsicles, aim to reflect a nostalgia for summer, the feelings of youth and vacation vibes. If you can’t make it this week, not to worry – the exhibit will remain open until Oct. 3.

BlackRock Center for the Arts, 12901 Town Commons Dr. Germantown, Md. Open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free.

Thursday

Turbo Kickboxing at the Georgetown Public Library: Kick your training into high-gear (literally) at this free class, hosted by the Georgetown Public Library. Professional fitness instructor Stanli Montgomery will lead you through a cardio kickboxing workout that’s sure to whip you into shape after a lazy summer. The class will take the first 30 who register, then guests will be placed on a waitlist, so make sure to RSVP.

Georgetown Public Library, 3260 R St. NW. 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free.

Roger (Not His Real Name) at the D.C. Arts Center: Created and performed by Matthew Vaky, this “quintessentially Washington play” is a humorous take on conspiracy, claiming to “expose” the true stories behind the Hubble Telescope, George Washington’s wooden teeth and the reason Dan Snyder refuses to change the name of the Redskins. Head to the D.C. Arts Center Thursday night for the first showing of this six-performance play.

D.C. Arts Center, 2438 18th St. NW. 7:15 p.m. Tickets: $18.