Alcohol delivery app gets a handle on D.C.

Alcohol can be fun. Making that last-minute run to the liquor store? Not so much.

But now, D.C. drinkers can get their booze delivered to their doorsteps with an app called Drizly.

Drizly users choose from around 2,000 varieties of beer, wine and liquor. Photo by Flickr user Melissa O'Donohue under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license
Drizly users can choose from about 2,000 varieties of beer, wine and liquor. Photo by Flickr user Melissa O’Donohue under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license

The app, which can get you beer, wine and liquor for a $5 fee in less than 40 minutes, came to the District on Thursday. It first launched in 2013, and is offered in six other cities.

Available on iPhones and Android phones, the service works like other delivery apps. Customers choose from a list of about 2,000 alcoholic drinks and an array of mixers, then enter their credit card information, place the order and wait, comfortably, at home.

The only difference is Drizly checks customer’s IDs upon delivery using the company’s “Forensic ID Verification System.

It promises never to mark up the price on a product, so the only extra charge is the $5 flat delivery fee.

Drizly isn’t the first alcohol delivery system to hit the District, but it may be the first one to last.

Ultra, an alcohol delivery app that launched in May, survived only a month until D.C.’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Board shut the company down for distributing alcohol without a license.

Drizly, though, claims to be a licensed alcohol provider and boasts “the blessing of state regulators” on its website.

The service has already made its first District delivery to none other than D.C.-based online news outlet, Vox Media.