Your Week: Write, work out and get a laugh with these freebies

Labor Day weekend may be the unofficial last hurrah of summer, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to end. Ease the back-to-school transition with these free and nearly-free events, all happening this week.

Tuesday

You Me & Apollo / Elizabeth & The Catapult at The Hamilton: After a busy, long weekend, Tuesday may be a rough transition. Wind down with live music from folk group You Me & Apollo at The Hamilton. The singing-songwriting group, which released in May its fourth album “Sweet Honey” is known for its soulful vocals and poetic lyrics. The band will join forces on Tuesday with Elizabeth & The Catapult, a folk group that integrates pop and rock rhythms into its tracks. Snag a seat for $16, or dance the night away with $14 standing room tickets.

The Hamilton, 600 14th St. NW. Doors 6:30 p.m., show 7:30 p.m. Tickets: $14-$16.

The DMV Roast of Congress will be held at DC pub The Brixton. Photo by Flickr user geek2chic under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

The DMV Roast of Congress: The Capital City Showcase, a variety comedy show, returns for its monthly DMV Roast on Tuesday night. Part of The Brixton’s “Tuesdays with Funnie” monthly event, this month’s roast will rain comedic fire on Congress and comedian Dylan Meyer will serve as “comic stand-in” for the legislature. And the show is not only free, but happening during The Brixton’s happy hour which features drink specials from 7 to 10 p.m.

The Brixton, 901 U St. NW. Doors 7 p.m., show 8 p.m. Free.

Wednesday

Workout Wednesdays in Franklin Park: Join Downtown DC and Crunch Fitness for Workout Wednesdays, a weekly free workout in Franklin Park. This week, the Crunch Fitness team will tailor the class to Jillian Michaels’ “Body Shred” workout, a high-energy circuit class that involves both strength training and cardio. First-timers, complete the online pre-registration form before the event and be sure to arrive early for check-in.

Franklin Park, K to Eye St. NW between 13th and 14th streets. Program begins at 5:30 p.m. Free.

Split This Rock Writing Workshop: Split This Rock and Beltway Poetry Slam will team up to host their first bi-monthly creative writing workshop, where writers in the D.C. area can get together to practice writing and share ideas. No RSVP is required, and all ages are welcome to the event.

Split This Rock Conference Room, 1112 16th St. NW. Event runs 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tickets: $5.

Thursday

Science Fiction Film Festival: The summer’s slew of free film showings may be coming to a close, but the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library is just getting started. The library will host the first installment of their Science Fiction Film Festival this Thursday with a free screening of a “milestone” science fiction film, whose title will be revealed at the event. Plus, the library booked C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, as a special guest speaker for the event.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G St. NW. Screening begins at 6 p.m. Free.