Weekend Outlook: Dance to 2000’s throwbacks and celebrate Bao Bao’s birthday

Don’t let the last weekend of summer go to waste. Here are a slew of parties happening throughout the weekend, from Bao Bao’s first birthday to a 2000’s-themed dance party. Plus, two evening art shows.

Friday

Fatboy Slim performs at 9:30 Club. Photo by Flickr user thisisbossi.

Hot in Herre 2000s Dance Party at the 9:30 Club: DJ Duo Will Eastman and Brian Billion are back to host their third “Hot in Herre” dance party at the 9:30 Club. The party will showcase hits from the 2000’s (think Missy Elliot, Outkast, Kelly Clarkson and more). You won’t even have to pretend you don’t know every word to Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” because everyone else will be shamelessly belting the lyrics along with you. Eastman and Billion are known for selling out shows, so buy your tickets ($15) in advance.

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors open at 9 p.m. Tickets: $15.

Rosslyn Summer Film Festival Presents “Anchorman”: Not only is this event both Will Ferrell-related and free, but it’s also the Rosslyn Film Festival’s last summer screening. As if you need another reason to go, the festival also offers a pre-show scavenger hunt at 7:30 p.m. that could win you VIP seating. But whether or not you choose to participate in the hunt, it’s best to arrive early to the 8 p.m. show for a good seat. Don’t forget to bring a blanket, lawn chair and some snacks.

Gateway Park, 1200 Lee Highway. For pre-show events, arrive at 7 p.m. Film begins at 8 p.m. Free.

Art After Dark at the Art Museum of the Americas: Join the Art Museum of the Americas for a night of art, food trucks, live music, prizes and more at the 5th installation of their “Art After Dark” series. The museum exhibitions and outdoor garden will stay open until 1 a.m. Though the $50 cover charge seems pricey, it gives you access to live music by DJ Shea van Horn and others, performance art, a gorgeous outdoor venue and a selection of beer, wine, champagne and sangria. Still not convinced? Check out photos from Art After Dark’s third installation, and complete the museum’s online survey for 10-percent-off tickets. Just remember to leave your heels at home for easy walking through the museum’s outdoor garden.

Art Museum of the Americas, 201 18th St. NW. 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets: $50. This is a 21+ event.

Saturday

Bao Bao’s First Birthday at the National Zoo: Celebrate the birthday of D.C.’s most prized possession. (No, not the Declaration of Independence or the National Gallery of Art, the other prized possession.) The National Zoo’s adored panda cub Bao Bao turns 1 year old Saturday, and naturally the entire city is invited to celebrate. Hosted by Bearitos, a kids’ healthy snack company, the party will take place at the entrance to the zoo’s Clint Fields Plaza and include games, giveaways, free samples of Bearitos snacks and the opportunity to sign a birthday card for the baby panda.

Clint Fields Plaza at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo, 3001 Connecticut Ave. NW. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free.

Bao Bao in his habitat at the National Zoo. Photo by Sharon Sipple.

Red Wanting Blue and The Alternate Routes at The Hamilton: All-American rock bands Red Wanting Blue and The Alternate Routes join forces for their “Sounds Like Summer” tour, which hits D.C. Saturday evening. With soulful, bright rock riffs from their album “Little America,” released in July, Red Wanting Blue is the perfect complement to The Alternate Routes’ warm, rough-around-the-edges rhythm. Catch the bands live at The Hamilton, and make sure to grab your tickets online before they sell out.

The Hamilton DC, 600 14th St. NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. for the 8:30 p.m. concert. Tickets: $17 in advance, $20 at the door.

Sunday

Denim Customization Style Workshop with Topaz + Arrow: DIY-enthusiasts and fashion gurus alike can learn how to dye, bleach, fray and embellish denim at Topaz + Arrow’s August workshop Sunday afternoon. Tickets are $37.50, and include materials, instruction, complimentary drinks provided by Honest Tea and Boulevard Brewing Company and snacks provided by Meats & Foods and KIND. Walk away with a customized denim piece you can brag about and that can’t be found anywhere else.

Wild Hand Workspace, 716 Monroe St. NE, Studio No. 8. 2 to 4 p.m. Tickets: $37.50, pre-registration required.

Karma Yoga Bruch III at Epic Yoga DC: At this fundraiser event, you can perfect your om and enjoy a healthy brunch all while giving to charity. For a minimum donation of $20, guests are invited to a one-hour all-level yoga class followed by a vegan brunch, with grub provided by Khepra’s Raw Food Juice Bar, Chef Anu and The Waterhole Community. Proceeds will go toward the Howard University chapter of Engineers Without Borders, a nonprofit that raises funds to build water purification systems for communities in El Salvador.

Epic Yoga DC, 1323 Connecticut Ave. NW. Tickets: Minimum donation of $20.

RAW:natural born artists at Penn Social: RAW:natural born artists hand selects artists in the creative spheres of visual art, film, fashion, music, beauty, photography, modeling and performing arts for showcases across the country. The arts organization comes to Penn Social on Sunday for a night of artistic discovery and inspiration. Guests can expect a film screening, musical performance, fashion show, art gallery and more, including 43 featured artists. Cocktail attire is recommended for the 21+ event.

Penn Social, 801 E St. NW. 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 cash only at the door. This is a 21+ event.