Weekend Outlook: House of Cards films in D.C.

Here are some cool things to do this weekend in the nation’s “coolest” city.

Jesse McCartney on tour. Photo by Flickr user JMac 054 / CC-BY-SA 2.0
Jesse McCartney performs on tour. Photo by Flickr user JMac 054 / CC-BY-SA 2.0

Friday

Jesse McCartney at The Fillmore Silver Spring: Did you miss Aaron Carter when he came to the District? Don’t worry, another teen icon is visiting town. Jesse McCartney will perform at the Fillmore Silver Spring for his “In Technicolor Tour.” Hopefully he’ll play those old favorites like “Beautiful Soul.” Tickets are $25.

DJ Pierre at U Street Music Hall: If you’re not looking to go all the way out to Silver Spring, stop by U Street Music Hall for music from dance producer DJ Pierre. Tickets are $10.

Saturday

House of Cards Filming: Yes, you read that correctly. The Netflix show’s crew will film motorcade scenes down Pennsylvania Avenue, Constitution Avenue and Independence Avenue, blocking traffic but also giving you the chance to spot some of the action. Filming will take place between noon and 10 p.m., so be on the lookout.

houseofcards

Splash Park at Yards Park: Keep an eye on the weather, but if it doesn’t rain on Saturday (and you’re 21 or older), make your way down to Yards Park for this adult water festival. Complete with water gun fights, lawn games, pools and DJ sets, it’s sure to be a fun time.

Sunday

Twin Peaks at DC9: Check out the old-school indie rock band Twin Peaks at DC9 Sunday night. The band, originally from Chicago, is touring the country in support of its new album “Wild Onion.” Tickets are $10.

Velvet Underground at Velvet Lounge: It might not be Lou Reed’s famous rock band, but this collection of hip-hop performers is still worth seeing. Tickets are $5.