Your Week: Live music around the city

There’s lots of live music at venues across the city this week. No use staying in at night when you can check out new bands and explore D.C. venues.

Monday

Foxing at DC9: Head out to DC9 to see Foxing, a St. Louis band that’s built its image by playing up the fact that it won’t be around forever. It translates to a lot of honest lyrics and harrowing instrumentals. Tickets are only $10.

District Karaoke City-Wide Finals @ Penn Social: If you’re over 21, don’t miss the karaoke finals at Penn Social. The bar will crown a city-wide winner, and there is no shortage of beer specials for you to enjoy the amateur vocals. Plus, there’s no cover charge.

Tuesday

Rom at DC9: D.C. post-punk trio Rom (previously known as The Dead Women) hit DC9 in support of their new record, “Soda Christ.” Tickets are only $8.

Tyler Ward at Jammin’ Java: For more of a pop vibe, see this YouTube sensation Tuesday night at Jammin’ Java. Ward has collaborated with everyone from Jason Derulo to The Plain White T’s. Tickets are $15.

Wednesday

Passenger at Echostage: Passenger has been all over radios for a while and is now coming to D.C. The group’s hit “Let Her Go” will surely be featured during the night, along with other songs from the band’s six studio albums. Tickets are still available for $35.

Poetry Slam at Liv Nightclub: The “Ask Rayceen Show” is back at Liv Nightclub with a poetry slam competition. The show is free and open to all ages.

Thursday

Obey City at U Street Music Hall: Venture out to U Street and start your weekend a night early with Obey City. His experimental beats fuse funk and soul vibes that are sure to keep the night lively.