Weekend Outlook: Ice cream & BRGRS and Queen meets Adam Lambert

We’d rather not discuss how many weekends are left until classes begin, and we’re sure you don’t either.

Keep summer alive with these weekend events, sure to help you check a few items off your D.C. bucket list.

Paramore performs on the Parahoy! cruise earlier this year. Photo by Flickr user Laurence Dion, used under cc-by-2.0

Friday

Charles Feelgood at U Street Music Hall: If you’re interested in blowing off steam from a long week, U Street Music Hall has the performer for you. D.C. area-based DJ Charles Feelgood brings his electronic dance jams to the basement at U Street. Tickets are $10 in advance for ages 18 and up and the event is free before 12 a.m. for anyone 21 and older.

#HIPSTERHEIGHTS 90s Party at Liv Nightclub: Tonight is full of throwbacks, and this one will take you all the way back to the 90s. The party features old school 90s rap, a 90s dress competition and live performances. Entrance is free before 10 p.m. for anyone 21 and older.

Saturday

Guys & Dolls Vintage Party at Penn Social: As if the world needed another hipster throwback, vintage vendors from D.C., Maryland, Virginia and Philadelphia will flock to Penn Social for a shopping soiree from noon to 4 p.m. Sponsored by Façon Magazine and Shop Love DC, guests will compete for the title of best-dressed and the first 75 guests will get “swag bags” – we can’t make this stuff up. So if you’re down to shop for new styles (or just curious to find out what’s in a “swag bag”), reserve your spot for free online.

DC BRGR Bash in Shaw: For a burger celebration just as intense as its title lets on, head over to the DC BRGR Bash for great food and drinks. Ten burger connoisseurs across the DMV area will compete for best burger (BRGR?) between noon and 6 p.m. – and you can be one of the lucky judges. After enjoying the burgers, beer and live music, guests will head to grease-stained ballot boxes to crown the victor. Day-before ticket options start at $30.

The DC Scoop at Union Market: Burgers not your style? Trade savory for sweet between 1 and 4 p.m. at this celebration of everything ice cream-related: from gelato to ice-cream sandwiches, popsicles and more. On the hit list are Shake Shack’s legendary custards, Carmen’s Italian Ice, Nice Cream and other D.C. favorites. Entrance is free. Ice cream prices will vary.

De La Soul 25th Anniversary at Howard Theatre: The hip-hop trio from Long Island, N.Y. famous for their laid-back rhythm and eclectic style will celebrate 25 years of sound this Sunday. Now working on their eighth album, De La Soul combines funky beats with soulful lyrics to form a style known as “jazz rap.” Doors for the 6 p.m. show open at 8 p.m., and general admission tickets are $37.45 – and selling out fast.

Sunday

Capital Fringe 2014 presents The 27 Club: As part of Capital Fringe’s summer theater festival, The 27 Club will honor the six rock legends who met their deaths at the age of 27. The performers will help the audience peer into the lives of Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain with excerpts from letters and stagings of real-life conversations and events. Tickets for the 8:45 p.m. show are $17.

Adam Lambert performs with Queen. Photo courtesy of Queen + Adam Lambert Facebook page.
Adam Lambert performs with Queen. Photo courtesy of the Queen + Adam Lambert Facebook page.

Queen + Adam Lambert at Merriweather Post Pavilion: Confused? Excited? A combination of both? After this duo performed at the iHeartRadio Music Festival last September, Lambert and Queen decided to join forces again for a 19-date tour that ends with a showing this Sunday. Hear timeless classics like “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions” at this (truly) one-of-a-kind event, beginning at 6:30 p.m. While general admissions is sold out, you can still snag lawn tickets starting at $45.

Free Hitchcock film screening in Alexandria: As part of their “Hitchcock in July” event, the Beatley Central Library will offer a free matinee screening of the 1959 Hitchcock classic “North By Northwest” this Sunday at 2 p.m. In this thriller, the innocent New York advertising executive Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) is mistaken for a government agent, and must figure out how to escape from the mysterious foreign spies who pursue him. Also, it’s Hitchcock and free.