Ready to watch the fireworks? Here are some less crowded viewing spots

Photo used under the Creative Commons license.
Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

Everyone will pour onto to the National Mall tonight for the fireworks, scheduled to start at 9 p.m.

But you don’t have to push your way through throngs of sweaty tourists to get a good view of the show. Some distance from the Reflecting Pool, where the fireworks are shot off, will give you a great view and room to stretch out.

1. The Ellipse

This circular area in front of the photogenic back side of the White House is a great spot to lay your blanket down and stay away from the crowds on the Mall. It will still get pretty crowded here, especially since it’s so close to Constitution Avenue, so plan to set up your space earlier in the day.

The Jefferson Memorial. Photo used under the Creative Commons license.
The Jefferson Memorial. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

2. The Jefferson Memorial

Head across the Tidal Basin and sit on the steps to watch the pyrotechnics over the water. Like most monuments, this spot will fill up as well, but anywhere besides the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial will afford you some breathing room.

3. Rooftop bars

Plenty of restaurants across the city have Fourth of July specials. Scope them out and find a place to hang out, eat some burgers, drink beer and enjoy the skyline view. The Jack Rose Dining Saloon in Adams Morgan will hand out beer snow cones and the Beacon Sky Bar in Dupont offers a nice lounging space to see the fireworks over the city.