Bribery lands former D.C. Council member in prison

Michael Brown
Former D.C. Council member Michael Brown will serve 39 months in prison for accepting bribes and illegal campaign donations. Hatchet File Photo

A former D.C. Council member was sentenced to more than three years in prison Thursday after pleading guilty to corruption charges.

Michael Brown faces 39 months in prison, the Washington Post reported, after pleading guilty last June to accepting $55,000 in bribes from undercover FBI agents posing as government contractors.

As part of his plea deal, Brown helped investigators secure a guilty plea from businessman Jeffrey Thompson, who admitted that he illegally funneled money into Mayor Vincent Gray’s 2010 campaign. The scandal has marred Gray’s tenure, though he has repeatedly denied any involvement in the shadow campaign.

Brown, 49, also accepted illegal donations from Thompson: $20,000 for his failed Council bid in 2007 and $125,000 for his successful 2008 campaign.

“I should have resisted the culture of corruption running rampant in our city,” Brown said in a statement to the judge.

Prosecutors questioned Brown’s argument that his wrongdoing was the result of “financial desperation and clouded judgment.” They alleged Brown had an eye for “finer amenities and luxuries,” citing a membership at an expensive golf club and pricey retail purchases, despite having debt and falling behind on his taxes.

“We cannot have our government run this way,” Chief Judge Richard Roberts said.