HAIM rocks first 9:30 Club show

Emily Holland | Culture Editor
Left to right: Alana Haim, Danielle Haim and Este Haim. Emily Holland | Hatchet Staff Photographer

HAIM rocked the 9:30 Club in a guitar-infused flurry of hair flips, fist pumps and shouts Wednesday.

The band, comprised of lead singer and guitarist Danielle Haim, bassist Este Haim and rhythm guitarist and percussionist Alana Haim, had its first of two sold-out performances at the popular District venue.

After some riling, the crowd jammed along with the three sisters. HAIM’s sound, often called a mix of Fleetwood Mac mixed and R&B, doesn’t lend itself to crazy dancing, but the sisters had high expectations for the crowd.

“I want to see some asses shake,” Este said as she pounded her bass with a ferocity that made the speakers rattle to “My Song 5.”

Este Haim playing the bass | Culture Editor Emily Holland
Este Haim’s nickname is “Bass Face,” which comes from the animated expressions she makes while strumming. Emily Holland | Hatchet Staff Photographer

All three sisters made a point to talk with the audience, even turning on the house lights so that they could better see the crowd.

With only one full album to fill their set, fans were guaranteed to hear their favorite songs. Plus, the band added a hard-hitting cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well” to the mix.

HAIM fit the 9:30 Club’s vibe perfectly. The trio wasn’t interested in any big production. With the sisters poking fun at each other, the show didn’t feel so much like a performance as it did a family bonding experience.

The group showed some sibling rivalry as each band member compared her section to the others, boasting that her own was the most energetic. They picked favorites among the crowd and vied for the audience’s whole-hearted affection.

Lead singer Danielle Haim | Culture Editor Emily Holland
Lead singer Danielle Haim. Emily Holland | Hatchet Staff Photographer

“If you’re not dancing, I’m not looking at you,” Alana said, convincing the people who weren’t in her line of sight to jump and scream.

They showed a mastery of their instruments, with each playing a string instrument and some percussion, adding to the other sister’s versatility. While most of the vocals on the album came from Danielle, both Este and Alana had the opportunity to sing at least one full song.

The night took a turn from spunky rock songs when the group performed the more solemn “Running if You Call My Name,” and Alana asked the audience to help her sing the lyrics.

But after the emotional interlude, the pep was back, including an encore of their hit single “The Wire” and a final drum collaboration at the end of “Let Me Go.” The sisters whipped their hair, pounded their drums and played the songs in a final burst of energy.