Where to make last-minute dinner reservations for Commencement

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Carly Stern.

Forget to make reservations for when your family visits for Commencement? With thousands of students graduating in D.C. the weekend of May 18, not too many restaurants have open spots. But here are a few places with tables left and also good food.

Photo courtesy of the Siroc Restaurant Facebook page.
Photo courtesy of the Facebook page for Siroc.

Siroc
915 15th St.

This Italian-Mediterranean hybrid is ideal for large parties. No jacket or tie needed, as the ambiance of Siroc is refined yet casual. It offers plenty of delicious and fairly priced dining options, such as house-made pastas between $17 and $20, and more expensive entrees like eggplant layered with lamb shank ($24). While walk-ins are allowed, try to make a reservation at least one week in advance.

Summer lobster risotto, one of the seasonal specials last year. Photo courtesy of the official Lincoln Restaurant DC Facebook page.
Summer lobster risotto, one of the seasonal specials last year. Photo courtesy of the Lincoln’s Facebook page.

Lincoln
1110 Vermont Ave.

This local favorite (and no, not the monument) that specializes in small, sharable meals has popular brunches and dinners. The menu, which changes seasonally, includes “small plates” ranging from jumbo lump crab risotto ($16) to organic kale salad ($10). The most creative part of the menu is the cocktail section, which features items like Honest Abe’s Moonshine ($11) and Gettysburg Address ($12). But reservations for May 18 are filling up. If you’re interested in dining at Lincoln after graduation, make the call as soon as possible.

Photo courtesy of the Toro Toro DC Facebook page.
Photo courtesy of Toro Toro’s Facebook page.

Toro Toro
1300 I St.

The Latin-American eatery Toro Toro boasts the vibe of a “New York City-esque lounge.” A dance floor is open until 1 a.m., upping the fun atmosphere of the space. With large plates like Smoked Guacamole ($12) and empanadas ($12), Toro Toro is perfect for groups looking to split a few dishes. However, vegetarians might want to look elsewhere: The restaurant’s menu primarily contains meat, poultry and seafood.