University funding paves way for new home for local seniors’ group

With a six-figure grant from GW, a local neighborhood association for elderly residents is moving into its first office after growing out of members’ homes.

The Foggy Bottom West End Village, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and assisting senior citizens, announced on Tuesday the move to a space in St. Paul’s Parish on K Street. The group will welcome members into its new space after the University pledged $100,000 to help the association into its new home.

The Foggy Bottom West End Village announced Tuesday its move to an office space in St. Paul's Parish on K Street. | Photo courtesy of Foggy Bottom West End Village
The Foggy Bottom West End Village announced Tuesday its move to an office space in St. Paul’s Parish on K Street. Photo courtesy of Foggy Bottom West End Village
The financial aid is part of a $4.1 million benefits package the University announced it would provide last year to appease neighbors as GW sought final approval to construct new office space along Pennsylvania Avenue.

The local organization said in a newsletter it will use GW’s money to “refurbish, furnish, and set up the office space so that the Village can more easily serve members and volunteers.”

The organization is also funded through its members, who shell out about $600 per person or $900 per household in dues.

“We are not all virtual people, so it’s important for us to have a permanent home and the Village at 2430 K St. is now ours,” the group’s president Susan Haight said in the newsletter.