Illusionist dance group to grace Lisner Auditorium

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Gracie Cook.

Dance-illusionist group MOMIX will be leading audience members through a multimedia magical interpretation of the four seasons in their production of “Botanica” at Lisner Auditorium later this month.

The group’s dream-like production contains as much art as it does physical skill, and is being featured as the final concert in the #LisnerInMotion dance series, presented by Lisner Auditorium and the Washington Performing Arts Society.

Awe-inspiring numbers create stories through the marriage of contemporary dance, humor, circus tricks and memorable props and costumes designed by Michael Curry of Disney’s “The Lion King.”

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzyJ-m4D-qs]

The dancers move through each season by way of precise choreography, bringing together each individual to create a much larger and more intricate scene.

Photo courtesy of the MOMIX Facebook page.

The final product is a reflection of MOMIX’s ability to think of things one can only dream of existing, and bring them to life. The dancing, outrageous costumes and other elements are familiar, but the group’s ability to amplify and enhance each one in a colorful and mesmerizing way results in a fascinating and complex spectacle. The natural beauty that often goes unnoticed, such as the beads of light that twinkle on a spider web, are vibrantly brought to life by the dancers.

MOMIX has worked not only in stage performances but has also extended its visionary work to television and film. Most recently the group appeared in nationwide commercials for Hanes and Target.

Past events featured in the #LisnerInMotion dance series have included “Tango Fire – Flames of Desire” and the annual “Flamenco Festival.” The performances by MOMIX will not only serve lovers of dance, but also those who appreciate organic beauty and art.

Performances are April 25 and April 26 at 8:00 p.m. in Lisner Auditorium and tickets are being sold for $28, $38 and $48.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzfey_dDkfs]