CEO of Deloitte to speak at business school graduation

Photo courtesy of Deloitte.
Photo courtesy of Deloitte.
The chief executive officer of an auditing, consulting and financial advisory company will keynote the GW School of Business’ graduation ceremony next month.

Barry Salzberg, the CEO of Deloitte Global, is the first business school speaker in four years to not have earned a degree from GW. He will speak about “leadership, career development and the value of education” on May 16, interim dean Christopher Kayes said in a statement Monday.

Salzberg said Deloitte, a partner of the school’s corporate governance project, employs many GW business school alumni.

“We look forward to further strengthening our ties to GWSB with each graduating class,” he said in the statement.

As global CEO of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, Salzberg leads a network of 47 firms in more than 150 countries. He joined the Deloitte organization in 1977, and has served as global CEO for the past three years.

Gil Yancy, executive director of the business school’s F. David Fowler Career Center, said Salzberg was “uniquely positioned to speak to our students about the challenges of a global environment and their responsibilities to society.”

A Brooklyn, N.Y. native, Salzberg received his undergraduate degree in accounting from Brooklyn College, his law degree from Brooklyn Law School and his master of laws from the New York University School of Law. He spoke at the graduation ceremony for Georgetown University’s business school two years ago.

He is chairman of the board of College Summit, a nonprofit that works to help low-income high school students attend college. Salzberg is also chairman of United Way Worldwide’s board of trustees and chair emeritus of the YMCA of Greater New York.

Past speakers at the business school’s graduation ceremony include senior vice president at RBC Wealth Management Steve Ross, founder and chief executive officer of Rand Construction Corporation Linda Rabbitt and Goldman Sachs managing director Lou Rosenfeld.