Graduate student senators shoot down Gumas’ attendance bill

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Lucas Kuo.

The Student Association Senate struck down a bill Monday that would have levied harsher punishments against senators who missed more than half of their meetings.

Sen. Nick Gumas, CCAS-U, who is president-elect of the SA, introduced the bill that failed to collect two-thirds of the necessary votes after an hour-long debate.

“I brought this bill forward because sometimes we elect senators who do not come to meetings on a regular basis and I think that’s inappropriate. I think if we’re going to have student government, you should give the job 110 percent,” Gumas said.

Senators must attend 60 percent of meetings each year. Gumas said he wanted senators who failed to meet that requirement to face removal, though they would first have the chance to speak before the senate to explain their unexcused absences.

Graduate students fought against the bill, arguing that the University offers some of their required classes only at night, when the senate holds its meetings.

Sen. Arielle Katcher, SMHS-G, said the bill would be unfair for medical students.

“You run the risk of then telling all first- and second-year medical students that they can’t have this position, which is a position that they have worked hard for and they want to be here for,” she said. “It’s very disappointing to see a bill that potentially takes us back a couple steps, especially for grad students the bill specifically targets.”

Some senators also argued for eliminating or changing the rules for proxy votes.

The group has debated attendance policies several times over the last few years. Last year, the senate passed a bill that set the current attendance requirement, which doubled the previous standard.

This post was updated April 2, 2014 to reflect the following correction: The Hatchet incorrectly spelled Arielle Katcher’s last name. We regret this error.