Highlights of this year’s Cherry Blossom Festival

The Blossom Kite Festival is one of the best events during the month-long celebration. Ana Cvetkovic | Hatchet Photographet.

The temperature may still be in the 40s outside, but it’s almost time for D.C.’s signature pink and white flowered trees to bloom around the Potomac. But the month-long Cherry Blossom Festival, which continues through April 13, is more than a walk around the Tidal Basin. Don’t miss these highlights:

Cherry Blast: Last year, this dance party was held in an abandoned warehouse. This year, it will take place at Blind Whino, a church that has been graffitied inside and out and transformed into an arts center. The event will feature DJs, live bands and art installations. If those things somehow just don’t appeal to you, the venue itself is reason enough to go.

Cherry Blast will take place this Saturday from 7 p.m. – midnight at 734 1st St. SW. The event is 21+. Tickets can be purchased online and at the time of the event, although tickets tend to sell out.

Kite Festival: Every year, kids and adults gather around the Washington Monument for one of the largest kite-flying events around. This spectacular event features kite-flying contests and demonstrations. Assuming that few college students own their own kite, this event is still perfect to enjoy an eclectic display of shapes and colors (and cute children).

This free event will be held at the Washington Monument this Sunday from 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival: The Southwest Waterfront Festival is an all-day event located at the home of the cherry blossom trees. The event has more than four stages that will keep attendees of all ages entertained for eight hours. Along with music, the festival will also have a market, beer garden and a food truck park. There will be Japanese cultural crafts and demonstrations to commemorate the original donors of the trees. Make sure you stay for the fireworks at 8:30 p.m.

The free event will be held at the Southwest Waterfront on Saturday, April 5 from 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.

National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade: This parade is the grand finale of the Cherry Blossom Festival, one of D.C.’s biggest (nonpolitical) spectator events. Prepare for colorful costumes, eye-catching floats and festive balloons. Don’t miss performances from ‘90s stud Aaron Carter, American Idol winner Candice Glover and Grammy award-winning Regina Belle.

The parade will take place along Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Streets NW on Saturday, April 12 starting at 10 a.m. Spectators can stand along the parade route between 9th and 15th Streets for free, but grandstand seating can be purchased starting at $20.