Spring Fling: What could’ve been

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Morgan Baskin. 

Reactions to the Program Board’s Spring Fling lineup announcement have been ambivalent at best, and it’s not hard to understand why: Jay Sean hasn’t had a hit song since the freshman class was wrapping up middle school.

Best Coast. Photo used under the Wikimedia Commons license

Plus, the University of Pennsylvania booked David Guetta, Ra Ra Riot and Magic Man for its spring concert. Yale snagged former GW Fall Fest star Diplo, and Northeastern will feature Snoop Dogg. Our neighbors at American got Chance the Rapper.

This is not to point fingers at Program Board. The group has plenty of financial and scheduling restrictions – and it’s always a highly scrutinized pick. That said, it’s always fun to play a game of what-could-have-been.

Below are artists who cost about $40,000 to book and who had free spring tour schedules:

Ace Hood

The Florida-born rapper is most famous for his 2013 hit “Bugatti,” but it’s still arguably more relevant than Sean’s “Down.”

Mos Def

Dante Smith helped shape ‘90s rap in a way few other artists of his generation did. Although he was more popular in decades past, his contributions to the world of hip hop are undeniable–and for less than $30,000, his show would’ve been a steal.

Best Coast

The L.A.-based indie electronic duo is stereotypical Urban Outfitters soundtrack fodder, but their tracks “When I’m With You” and “Boyfriend” became alternative summer anthems.

Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo has helped to define alternative rock for over three decades, impressing critics and amassing a cult following with their nontraditional downtempo rock and quirky stage presence.